is bigger better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 11, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

for guys that do residentials, do you make more money on small lawns(3k-10k) or large lawns(10k and up)? i was having this conversation with the nimrod down the street, he loves busting his azz on these big, messy, pita lawns. and i like doing smaller lawns, basic mow, blow, wack and edge, and moving on. you're only gonna get the client to pay so much for lawn maint, this makes the larger lawns not worthwhile, imo. what do ya think?

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

No its not always better sometimes I think you can get them to spend more on extras.But if you can do 4 or 5 of your smaller lawns in a hour you can make the money you were talking about with the regular lawn maintenance.

3. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I would much rather do small $30 yards all day than bigger yards as long as they are on a tight route which mine are. Not only do I make more money but mentally its a lot easier. Makes the day go faster.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I like the bigger ones better, but I make more per hour dealing with residential in the 4-10k category.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the middle sixed lawns, not too big and not too small. I guess the 1 hr. lawns with 2 people work best for me.

6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I tend to prefer the smaller yards, and welcome them in larger numbers. This way, if you ever lose one, or decide to gain a few more, it's easier to adjust.
    Kind of like benchpressing 250 pounds with 5- 50 lb plates, or 25 - 10 lb plates. They add up to the same amount, but if you're a bit tired from the last set, you can jump down to 240, instead of having to go all the way down to 200, and the same with going up.

As far as preference though, definitely like doing the smaller yards now, with the equipment I have (21" :eek: ) it is a lot more productive for me.

7. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I think it is too general of a statement/question.

Does not this depend on the type of equipment one has? If you mow a lawn with a 21" mower and I mow a lawn with a 72" mower, I can get more done in less time than you on larger lawns. You would require four passes to my one. However, you might be able to be more efficient on smaller lawns with lots of obstacles. This is why I think it is too broad of a question.

Also, for a pita lawn I would assume you would charge a pita fee. I use a standard price for my residential sections. But, I will add to the weekly cost for an overabundant amount of obstacles, turns, line trimming debris into pools, and other pita scenarios.

In addition, generally speaking, with a bigger lawn comes a bigger landscape. Meaning, more mulch, more tree/shrub trimming, more fertilizer, etc.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Down here in Fla I like the trailer park lots.

You can bust out about 5-6 an hour by yourself, and at $10-12 a cut its e-a-s-y money - LOL!!!

I think regardless of where you are cutting ,,, the less trailer time you have the more $$$ you're going to make.

The other arguement comes down to $$$ per man hour. If you've got your set-up figured properly (IMHO) it shouldnt matter how much or how little your cutting because your avg per hour should be the same.

So whether your cutting 3 8m/sf properties an hour at $20 ea or an acre per hour at $60 the ends justify the means regardless of where your mowers are.

But like Grassmaster always said ,,, the mow-blow-n-go's are the way to fly because they wont hound you to death the way a meticulous client will.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it doesn't even out djl. there is only so much a person will pay to have thier lawn cut. when i can pop out $30 lawns, alone, at the rate of like 25 min per lawn, it's more productive than the bigger, higher maint type lawns, that will take an hour, but still only pay $40-$45.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer smaller too. But that's partially due to conditions in my area. We have 90% small lots here in the city and maybe 10% larger lots. So unless you really want to specialize in serving the larger 10%, there is no reason to own anything more than a 21" mower. And with that 21" mower, we can handle the average 3000 sq. ft. lawn in 15-20 minutes and get $30 per cut. But suppose we come across a larger, 10,000 sq. ft. lawn. Now that's over 3 times the lawn and 3 times the mowing time. But there's no way in heck I can charge 3 times the price; 90 per cut. They just wouldn't pay that. So if I wanted to take on these larger lots then we'd be making less per man hour. No good.

That's why I stick with the smaller residentials. I love em!