1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

is bigger better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Feb 13, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

my question is, i'm planning on buying a walk behind. i have 18 lawns right now. 5 of them are gated. would it be better for me to buy a 36 for the gated or go bigger for the other 13? which would be more efficient? i hear some people say go as big as your budget allows. i'd like to hear some feed back on those who use a 36 and those who went bigger.. all replies are appreciated.

thanks
    lawnwizards.

2. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

You ultimately need two machines. A 36 for the gates, and a larger for outside. If I had to take one, I would probably take the 36. This is assuming the back yards are not a lot smaller than the front, hard to push mow. As you grow, you can purchase a larger machine. 36 inch machines mow better in the wet and clog less, due to two blades inline.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 36 w/b that can get through any gate on our route. I've also got a 42 front mount rider that can get through some gates but not all. Both have advantages. Use the 42 more often but the 36 is very handy.