Is blower dying? Worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by robertb_44, Nov 14, 2006.

1. robertb_44

robertb_44 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have a redmax 7001 about a year and a half old, used a lot during last fall and spring cleanups.

I've maintained it, but now it's starting to get a rattling sound in the engine, but doesn't seem to have lost too much power. I've changed the plug, checked the carbon, cleaned fuel filter and changed air filter.

Does this sound like the beginning of the end of this blower and if so would it be worth fixing?

could there be some adjustment?

2. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

Check the exhaust screen. It is a small metal screen placed internally over the exhaust port. Sometimes it loosens. I usually take them off my blowers and trimmers but if you need servicing put them back on. Some companies my claim this is a modification and void the warranty work.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Rattling sound? Sounds like something is come loose - check to see if muffler is tight (fasteners on my 8000 muffler came loose last week) - housing - etc..

7001's will last much longer than a year and a half.

RE the spark arrester - pull it.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long pieces of piston ain't flying out the muffler, they can rattle all day long.
    If it hasn't lost power, it's good to go.
    It maybe trying to clear its throat, so remember to give it healthy amounts of steady throttle.

My oldest backpack is 5, they do last a long time.

5. robertb_44

robertb_44 LawnSite Member

muffler was just changed for the recall about a month ago, will check though, hope it's just some noise as you said.

thanks

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Worse case scenario - Redmax has a 2 year warranty.

:canadaflag:

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Yeah, really, if it's only a year and a half old take it in and get it fixed under warranty.

8. MowPartRep2

MowPartRep2 LawnSite Member

If you need anything for that blower? Check out our prices at www.mowpart.com

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's probably your issue right there.
    Take it back and tell them it's been rattling.

It's also possible you sucked some little something in the housing if it's not a metalic rattle.

Also, sit it on a flat surface, hold it down at the frame and wiggle the rest around.
    Could be one of those anti-vibration mounts or anything.

Also, I may be really reaching here, because the 8001 and 7001 do not even share the same engine technology, much less have the same engine. But I have noticed that when the 8001's get real low on fuel... they sound like the engine is going to fly into a million pieces. The first time I heard it, I thought oh crap the bottom end is coming out on this one.

So my point is, it might be fuel starvation too.