Is Bumpy/lumpy turf hard on mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 15, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Wanted to know if un-even slightly bumpy turf would harm a commercial grade mower. I guess they are built much stronger than a home owner unit. But will it still do well? Most people's yards aren't completely flat, but then some are very bumpy or perhaps LUMPY is a better term. I'm not saying rocks or dirts mounds, just lumpy turf where u can feel it's not smooth at all going over it, much vibration ect.

2. Your Lawn First

Your Lawn First LawnSite Member

of course this will hurt the mower, just make sure you get your regular checks and keep a tool set with you for loose bolts.

3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I have a few yards like this. Never pleasant to be riding a mower on. However, you may just have to slow down a little bit. And also, consider the terrain when placing a bid. Hope this helps.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you would just buy the darn Scag it will fix most of your problems you are concerned about.....bumps and limbs aren't going to hurt that unit.

5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

It might hurt the mower or not, but it'll sure tear the crap out of your back!!!

Advil and ice time!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

6. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

ditto. all this money im making mowing is just gonna end up going to a new spine and kidneys

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Of-corse it will, It will break the decks in half, ruin the pumps, and put dirt in the berrings,

If I were you I would, go flip hamburger patties, there NO lumps there.

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Advil helps, but if it progresses to stumpknocker's neck, there is no cure for that.:laugh: :laugh:

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Just a bit too sarcastic, don't you think !!

10. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

LawnSite members and especially Green-Pa, I don't mean this with any malice. I'm dead serious.

Let's sponsor Green-Pa and give him the chance to get the used Scag WB and an old trailer (or some cheesy wooden ramps) and get out and use some commercial grade stuff.

Green-Pa if you post or PM me a mailing address I'll send you $1. You have to write "Sponsored by ____________" on the trailer, mower or ramps. And you have do the same for anyone else who goes for a $1 sponsorship. If even 1% of the the LawnSite members will do the same you can get a used trailer or mower. If everyone who is a member does you can get a brand new F-650 and some really long 2 x 8s. (LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum Statistics Threads: 178,547, Posts: 1,858,855, Members: 58,250).

What do you say Forum? Your $1.50 with postage and envelope to get Green-Pa rolling heavy metal :weightlifter: instead of typing questions about it...:clapping: