Is buying an aerator a smart business decision?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Holland, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here in central Mississippi with all the clay soil aeration is really needed to keep your grass really healthy. I don't see many companies talking much about aeration in my area. I'm wondering if that's a job I should look to offer as one of my main services? If so what's a good machine for starting off?

Thanks guys.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure it is a core aerator that pulls plugs.

Better to own. Save the time and gas going to pick up and return the aerator to the rental center.

You do the work when it fits your schedule best. Not schedule the work based on rental availablity.

You may make enough money back the first year to pay for the machine. Maybe take two years.

After walking behind an aerator I would want an core aerator that I can pull behind my rider. Though then that will lead to gate clearance.

So if you have the cash, go for it.

3. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Aeration is a great add on service. You can charge 2.5 to 3 times the cost of mowing. I own 3 aerators. Two of them I bought used from rental stores about 8 years ago and are still running.

4. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Soil gets especially compacted by all the heavy ztrs the knuckle heads are putting on all the lawns too. Aeration is a great benefit add on service that not everyone does. I'm thinking about getting one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't have said it any better. I bought a two year old Ryan last year 33 lawn to pay it off then its just cost fuel and maintenance.

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely it's a great idea. Just don't buy an expensive ride on unless you know you have the business to support one.

You can find quality used ones on craigslist for less than $2k

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Tons of half price hacks here. :hammerhead:

Rates are getting close to mowing rates now days.

8. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

There is a big company in my town that does that. They do a crappy job. I stick to my prices on aeration. I do a better job and like I said, its an add on service. I use a lawnaire 28.

http://www.ryanturf.com/ryan-lawnaire-28.asp

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I rent a Blue Bird pull behind 36".

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I used to rent, hated having to go pick up and return the unit. Then I bought. Two years unit pd for and then some. No question a great service to offer.