Is buying new equipment smart?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by New_Business, Jul 15, 2008.

1. New_Business

New_Business LawnSite Member

Hey guys just wondering I spent a lot of money on all new equipment when I started out and i'm wondering if i should have bought used everything. With my current expenses and charging on average 40-50 dollars a lawn i'm only making a profit of about 350 dollars a week. Just wondering
  2. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

How many accounts do you have? Need more info!
  3. MAD87

MAD87 LawnSite Member

It's a little too late to matter now:) I will tell you this, it isn't fun having a lot of equipment to pay for during the winter if you don't have enough saved up by the end of mowing season. I just paid my Exmark off this week, and it sure does feel good!:clapping:
    If possible, I would recommend getting another job and do mowing part time until you get enough customers to earn a decent income.
    We don't know all of your other expenses, but it is best to start out small and work your way up. Some of the biggest LCOs started out with 21" mowers!
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I started out with homeowner/used equipment and didn't buy my first real piece of new commerical equipment until about my third or fourth year. My first piece was a Shindaiwa T-230 trimmer. I've been buying new every since. I pace myself so I'm not spending too much.

Right now I need nothing and owe no money on equipment.
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

the only thing bad about new eqiupment well actually theres 3 maybe 4 things. 1.seeing it get dirty or breaking down 2. you lose your shirt if you have to sell it. can have issues right from the factory if its a new model that can drive you nuts. 4. it can be something you totally hate all together and you cant do nothing about it
  6. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

First off, are you serious? How old are you? Do you have to live on this money? Is this a full time job or part time? How is anyone supposed to answer this useless thread?

7. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

That's one of the best ways to do it. Pacing yourself.:walking:
  8. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How much equipment are we talking about? payup
  9. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I agree with Dave.