is cash payment a bargaining tool?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

now we know we all either don't accept cash, or if we do, it gets deposited. but, theoretically, would you allow cash as a "bargaing tool?" mr. smiths trimming is $300 plus tax. now, he offers you $275 cash. deal?

2. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

If you really believe that nobody in this forum accepts cash, then I have a bridge to sell you...

Don't believe that line of ****. Everybody acceptes cash. It's clean and off the books you don't report it and all is well.

I'll be the first to admit, that if given the option, I'll take it.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Sure Mr. Smith can pay me in cash, but it isn't going to change the price for services. Either way I'm going to get my money.

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if you took $15,000.00 in cash to a new car dealership, if you could get a good deal on a car?

5. stizostedion_vitreum

stizostedion_vitreum LawnSite Member
    from ND

Immediate CASH payment is worth approx. 4-10% too me. It costs alot of money to collect.

TJ

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

littleriver , years ago i bought my wife a brand new car. i walked in bith a buldge in my pants (money), grabbed the first salesman, and pointed to a car i wanted. i said, "how much is that car, with a sunroof, and can you have it ready in an hour?" he said $16,800. i said, "i got $15,000 cash in my front right pocket. i'd like to trade it for that car." he went and spoke with his manager. he came back at $15,800. i said, "see ya, i gotta get rid of this 15 grand. he told me to wait. he went back, came out saying $15,500. because it had an alarm system just installed. i told him take it out. he said no can do. i left there paying $15,200 for the car.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yes..............

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody has tried to negotiate with me on cash, but since I intend to declare every penny, it's no leverage for customers.

Undeclared income cannot:

1) Help your credit rating;
    2) Help when you want to incorporate; and
    3) Help with your social security package. Don't care what anyone says, social security is not going anywhere. Age of eligibility will go up, but nothing else about it changes.

By the way, don't kid yourselves into thinking that the IRS has no way of detecting undeclared income.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

"age of eligibility" means something. by the time i'm 65, i'll need to be 75 to collect. seems a bit unfair, pay into it for 57 yrs, collect it for 2.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Cash won't get you a deal with me. You need to remember that when the IRS does an audit they will probably want to know where the money to buy all of those nice toys or fat bank account came from.

BTW, most car dealers get their money relatively quicky whether you pay cash or not. When they finance a car, they're not financing a car the finance company is. The dealer gets cut a check. Just like when you finance a mower.