Is chlorine in the water killing my nematodes?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by aclane2000, Jan 11, 2011.

1. aclane2000

aclane2000 LawnSite Member

So if you have to de-chlorify water before you can make good compost tea, does it stand to reason that I may be killing off some of the good stuff in the soil by irrigating it with our cities chlorinated tap water?

2. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, as there's so much organic matter in the soil relative to the levels of chlorine that you'll be fine.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Tad, most city water is 4 PPM chlorine just a bit of organic matter wipes it out

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

From other posts I've seen and Youtube videos others have said to let your water bubble for 1-3 hours before adding ingredients to "aerate" the chlorine away.

5. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

3-5 ppm, the same amount to maintain a swimming pool.

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

You can add a small amount of humates or acetic acid to immediately neutralize the chlorine.

7. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

I think you mean ascorbic acid my friend. I do that all the time.

Bubbling does not work that well. I once bubbled 50 gallons for 8 hours and it still had chlorine odor.

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Tim. I'll just call it Good old Vitamin C from now on.

9. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a horrible sense of smell, but I've had no problems with letting the water sit out or bubbling that I'm aware of. I've made teas and then looked at them under the scope and they were fine, however I've never done a side by side to see if they would have been even better with a non-chlorinated source or a different method of dechlorination.

10. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

How many grams of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) would you recommend for 50 gallons?