Is compost enough for a vegtable garden?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by dishboy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I built a couple large raised beds ;15X4 two feet high for my wife to grow veggies. In these boxes I filled about 2/3 full of soil from sod that has completely composted. In the remainder I blended the soil with about two yards of leaf/grass compost.
    Will I need to supplement with more N for vegetables with alfalfa or soy meal or is the compost enough. So far almost everything is up and doing well.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If you have 2 feet of fertile soil heavy on the OM the chances are pretty good that you shouldn't need much additional. But I usually do a fresh horse manure tea drench around the plants b4 they get too large, then mulch, just to be sure.
    Add something to the surface for a mulch and thus continue the addition of new stuff to your soil for the course of the season.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if its good compost and has what the soil/ plants need...........

_MG_0744.jpg

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a lot of lettuce !
    Mine are less than 6 or 8 inches high right now
    Sunflowers look great too

All that bending over, you need a garden weasel. I don't use them I just like to say the name

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

garden weasel?? does it look for bugs??? yes i have one, I use it to scratch the dog, its a joke for the garden. try a Swiss hoe or a plaka( large Indian hoe )

the best cure is prevention!!!!!!!!

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

That's why we built the boxes, we can sit on the edge and weed without stooping:) The wood came from a redwood deck a client removed.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A.K.A hula hoe

amen sista