is cutting grass "cool"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 17, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

is lawn maint considered a "cool", or macho type of employment. example: some may consider, perhaps, being a fireman as a macho type of job. some may consider being a male nurse, as a nerd type of job. is cutting grass cool? i mean, am i the only one who thinks i look cool while im cutting grass?

2. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's mostly looked down on as far as a career path. Most blue collar-type work is looked at the same way.

That said, cutting lawn is very rewarding. Perhaps not necessarily financially for everyone, but you see instant results and there's always some new challenge.

I think lawn maintenance and landscaping is only macho to those on the inside and far from it to the outsiders.

3. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

it's better to be cool, than to look cool

4. Chicks dig guys who mow lawns.

5. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I felt very cool when I first got on a Snapper Comet at 7 years old and feel that way everytime I get on my mower now-especially when a neighbor stands out in their yard and stares at me while I zip around on the Surfer; although after awhile I start staring back; like "What are you lookin' at?" or "take a picture, it'll last longer", especially if she ain't smilin', just staring. LOL

6. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

It's cool to the little ones. I love seeing their faces as I zip through the yard! At least someone thinks it's cool.

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since I am still kinda on the outside looking in (ie my primary source of income is my full time job which i despise) I would say that I (and many others I've talked to) envy the crew that comes to cut our lawn and maintain the grounds at my company.

When I am in my LCO uniform and playing that role, I get the feeling from my customers and others that I talk to that they are envious.

I think being cool or not depends on whether you potray "want to mow lawns" or "have to mow lawns".

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

redbull, not only do i look cool, but i am cool. cool as the summer breeze, as cool as the other side of the pillow, u get my drift.

9. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

You are that Bobby! And more.:)

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Kids are intrigued by ZTR's. They look at them as some sort of go-cart that cuts grass. I actually had a customer ask me if I'd take their son for a short ride on my lap. Went really slow, but I think it made that kids day.

By the way. Mowing is cool.