Is dealer 30 miles away too far?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Jun 27, 2003.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, the only local dealers I have that are worth using are Deere and Kubota. There is a Toro dealer in town but I bought the Husqvarna wb from him and his service sucks. There is a Exmark dealer 30 miles away that is supposed to have awesome service. Is a half hour away too far? I am accustomed to have plenty of spair filters, plugs, belts, blades, and stuff of that such on hand. Is this too far away though for when it comes to a downed mower?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you are losing time because of this one mower and everybody is waiting just for this one mower, then yes I would say that its too far. But if just one mower is down and it doesn't effect the pace of the day, then I would go to him. But it still comes back to quality & friendly service

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

While it can definitely be frustrating, 30 miles or its equivalent in time wouldn't really seem too much.
    Is it really a 30 minute trip there?
    Doesn't it take that long to get just about anywhere?

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It's not too far until you need repairs :D I say that because I bought my Lazer from a dealer 40 miles away. There were a couple closer, but not by much. One of the closer dealers was about the same price as what I paid but wanted to sell a Kubota, not a Lazer. The other was a mom and pop type operation that I am not sure had even sold an Exmark at that point. So I went with the one 40 miles away. I am now having Kohler problems and I just cant find time to get there. Not to mention, I have no true equal machines in service. This problem may turn into one of those "try 8 times before it's fixed deals" and I just can't take the 2 1/2 hour round trip right now.

Maybe I should have just bought the Super Z or Husqvarna from the dealer 20 minutes up the road :confused: ............Nah ;)

5. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

in houston 10 milws away could end up being thirty minutes. no big deal here as my dealer is only fifteen miles away ans takes thirty minutes to get to his place. but he offers one day service on my machines.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

30 minutes away? That's all? To me it looks like you answered your own question, I drive 20 minutes to Lesco all the time, my mower dealer in probably 30 min away, I don't give it a thought. when driving there. I would hope you are not having to drive to the dealer often.....

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A 30 minute trip here could be just trying to get to the grocery store. 30 minutes is nothing.

8. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Rustic Goat is correct just about everything takes at least 30 minutes.
    Not only that but if a close dealer say 15 minutes away and a far dealer is 30 minutes away that is only 15 minutes (one-way) longer. I could blow 15 minutes going to the bathroom, when all is said and done.

9. My dealer won't even schedule my equipment to be looked at for 4 to 5 days.
    Then they order parts.

Heck I bet I've spent 30 minutes trying to get him to look at something.

I need a better dealer.

Dave

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

don't put so much on the location of the dealer. most all repairs can be done yourself, what goes wrong? maybe because i have dixie choppers i don't worry so much. whats so hard about putting a belt on? changing the oil and filters? it's not rocket science. if time is money, and you stated that a mower down will effect productivity, then fix it yourself. :eek: