Is Dimension working?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MrC, Apr 22, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

This is the first time I have used a Lesco product after spending the last two season using Greenview. I laid down Dimension 0.10% 19-0-6 on my lawn and my sisters about two weeks ago. Dandelions have taken over my sisters lawn which she claims never happened when she used Scotts. I continue to have some problems with several broadlead leaf weeds (spurge*, carpetweed*, chickweed*, wild onion, and a few dandelions; *I think that's what they are).

I was under the impression that the Dimension was a weed and feed. My dealer said that I could put my second application of 0.10% 19-0-6 in May, but that if the weeds were bad I may have to do 0.15% 19-0-6. He gave me a program that states to use Momentum 0-0-8 as needed. Now this is all greek to me. I don't want to break my bank doing this. Are they just being salesman or do I have to continue to dig deep in my pockets. What should I do?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Dimension is for grassy weeds ONLY. It's not intended to control broadleaf weeds (dandilion, spurge chickweed, wild onion) in any way.

Momentum, or a 3-way herbicide (trimec) or a "weed and feed" product will control your broadleaf weeds.

3. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Sorry these question may seem ******** but I have no idea what is what. I'm used to someone just telling me what and when to put things down (Scotts & Greenview).
    1. Can I do my second application in May with my left over Dimension .10% 19-0-6 instead of having to buy Dimension .15% 19-0-6?
    2. When would I apply Momentum or Trimec?
    3. Where can I get Trimec?
    4. What's a good weed and feed and when would it go down?

Again, sorry for this but I need things broken down in baby steps. THANKS!!!

4. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Also, why doesn't Dimension have stuff to treat broadleaf weeds. Scotts and Greenview did.

5. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Anyone else?

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Scotts and Greenview were using fertilizers with different active ingredients than the Dimension. Dimension is primarily for pre-emergence control of grassy weeds. The Momentum weed and feed is a post emergence weed control that is active against broadleaf weeds such as dandelions after they have sprouted.
    I don't see any reason to switch between .10 and .15.

Trimec is applied when the temps are constantly in the 60's or above in temp for extended time. You can get it at Lesco(they call it three-way). It's about $65-70 per 2.5 gallon jug and is sprayed on the lawn about a 1/100-1/80 ratio with water. Farm stores might sell it in gallon jugs.

Weed and feed can be put down about the same time as Trimec, but the grass needs to be somewhat wet for the granules to release the weed killer onto the leaf. Not near as good control as liquid spray.

7. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Thanks for the advice ATV!!!

When can I apply the weed and feed? I did Dimension about 2.5 weeks ago. My sister is complaining about all the broadleaf weeds and wants me to do something now.

Trimec is a bit expensive and it would probably take me 10 years to go through 1 gallon at a ratio of 1:100. Do they make anything smaller or should I just stick with Momentum?
    Thanks again