is double cut an extra charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Jun 13, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

i had to double cut a yard. waters daily. grass is way high. even after the double cut i had to use the blower to get ride of the clumps. do i charge extra for a double cut. what do you think.

2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I would mow more freq. like every 4-5 days. just explain to them that if they want a nice looking lawn you ARE going to cut more often. tell them that you want to be known in around town that you do good qaulity work and never leave clumps in the yard. if they complain too much tell them you can you can give them a better deal like knock off $3-5 depending on how much you are making on the lawn. if you mow 4-5 days you can get 6-8 cuts a month. Dont tell them you can give them a deal until they start complaining and tell you to come once a weeK. It worked good for me 15 out of 16 times that one I lost was a big PITA.

3. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 other customers on this route. i can only mow each week.

4. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

I had to explain to a customer who didn't want his lawn double cut that we needed to. Even after double cutting the lawn we still had a few clumps we had to blow out. I simply told him that any grass clumps in the lawn will get buried in the grass and all that thatch buildup will cause the roots to possibly sufficate and kill the grass. On top of that you don't want your lawn having to get dethatched more than it's needed because it ain't cheap. You should be charging extra for double cutting on lawns of reasonable size. On the other hand, if it takes us 2-5 minutes to cut the front lawn, and it needs to be double cut, we'll do it at no extra charge because it looks better and it isn't hurting us to do it. Good luck!

-Mark

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our policy is that we charge extra ONLY if the customer doesn't want it cut more often. If it is due to mother nature or your scheduling I would not charge extra.