1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is Echo really that bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Mar 6, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to be objective. My dealer who offers Echo has great service. I want to deal with him ; but my past experience with Echo has been bad. I consider them garbage. My dealer assures me the new stuff is much improved and as good as my Redmax and Shindaiwa's. Am I being pigheaded? Should I give Echo a try?
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

My company used echo for years, over 11 years as a matter of fact. I became very good at replacing engines. I would buy the short blocks and rebuild each weedwacker, edger, handheld blower etc, trimmer...when they would fry. I would replace about 5-6 engines a year. I though they were a good product, easy to work with.

Then I bought Redmax.....and haven't had to replace a single engine. I have saved many hundreds of dollars in repair costs. The Redmax is a better built product. Much the same about Shindawa.

I would go with Redmax or Shindaiwa.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have two backpack blowers...ECHO PB650 & PB603. Had 603 since '01 season and 650 was bought spring of '02. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Knock on wood, they have never given me any major problems. Never any down time with them, easy to start, even after sitting all winter (of course properly stored). The 650 is VERY powerful.

MY Echo trimmers on the other hand...NEVER again. Tough to start em, always adjusting the throttle, always seem to be replacing one thing or another on them, and I can't stand the trimmer heads...poor design IMHO. One model was the SRM-2610 and the other was...well I can't think at the moment I believe 2600---not sure.

Anyway, last summer bought the Redmax..can't remember that model number either BCZ-3000 or something like that. Absolutely love the thing. Love the fact that it has a greasable head, the trimmer spool is great...easy on/off...no messing around, good power, easy spout to poor the gas mix into. Heck, even the throttle has a flexible trigger so it's real hard to break. Only downside I have with it is it is a little heavy...but the tradeoff in power and (so far) ruggedness far outweighs this negative.

Just some thoughts for you to chew on...
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an echo once...never again. Always had major carbon problems. I did like how quiet it was...but it was waaayyy underpowered. It seems like the quality has gone down hill since Home Depot started to carry Echo.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have both those models. Have to adjust the carb every day and hard as heck to start. Also will make you cuss when reloading. Never had any engine problems though.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what you guys are talking about...I have used Echo for many years and have added at least one trimmer and blower each year. I do all the maintenance for our business and I have NEVER needed a short block. We put HEAVY use on our trimmers(30hrs/wk). Normal maintenance includes checking exhaust for carbon but if you use 93 octane and echo oil that isn't a big problem. ALL of my units including a 1997 1500 trimmer is still running. The main reason for echo is the units are light and powerful...check out the new Echo SRM 261T-no 4-mix engines on Echo.
  7. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

i agree with edhess,thats all weve used for the last 16 years, i guess im just familar with them
  8. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

My Suggestion:

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Echo Outsells Every other Manufacturer of Commercial Tools 10 to 1 so you're Going to Hear More Complaints....Also Scrubs buy the Home Depot Echo & Expect it to Perform Like the Commercial Line. You Can't Get the Good Stuff @ Home Depot.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How in God's name did you arrive at that conclusion Calvin I would love to know?

I was a faithful customer of Echo for the last 10 years or so but gave up on them. Their trimmers that I purchased in the last couple of years are a major PITA to cold start. Period