Is everone Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBALLARD, Oct 10, 2000.

1. DBALLARD

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

I was talking with one of the Big Co. in my area about striping. They were one of the last ones to switch over to making stripes. They would just keep going around the lot, like you use to do as a kid, until they were done. After switching to striping they cut 15 to 20% off there time. Just a thought for thoughs of you who havent converted.

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I don't see how they cut time. It takes me extra time to stripe a lawn. I have some i call "field cuts" that i get dizzy on.

3. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

It has saved me time in my own lawn but you have to cut within the layout of the landscape. One way this week the other way next week. Not all in one day.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We have a local "professional" who uses Scotts riding tractors that doesn't stripe. Other than that everybody around me does.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Since I dont know how and my folks havnt
    ask for it. Istill try for the still water
    look. I f I KNEW it speeded things up
    I would investigate more

6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I do, and it was becasue it saved time. I go around the property and make a trimming pass, then go back and forth along the longest side of the lawn. If the ground is soft I switch directions to keep out ruts. I have gotten a few yards from neighbors who wnated to keep up with the Joneses. I don't like it at my house, I want the yard to look like carpet. Hardest part about doing it was teaching my son the concept of "perpendicular or parallel" to the house. That was fun. :)

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It may not save time on a perfectly square lot, but it does save time on odd shaped lots. I have very few square lots, so it is a big time saver for me.

8. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by the term striping?

9. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

striping takes me longer...time to plan best direction and also more trimming time I dont do circles around trees and the overlap

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Stripes: This is when you go one direction and it is leaving a light stripe and then coming back it leaves a dark stripe. I have pictures on my website of lawns that have been striped and a page on how to do this.