1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is everyone working memorial day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, May 20, 2013.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

How old are you? You'll feel it eventually. I felt it bad this spring due to an unrelenting winter and an understaffed spring rush. I had to take a week off work and I don't even have my own business anymore. I used to feel the same way you did. Work 18 hours every day. Can't do it forever.
  2. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Not working. Going camping for the whole weekend. I need this
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be 33 in June. I'm not saying don't take a break. But I don't think I need a three day weekend when I work a profession where you get the whole winter off. We don't don't get a ton of snow here. 6 or 7 2 inch+ snows if we're lucky. That's a lot more time off then most people get.
  4. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

NOPE. Most if not all people that work on Memorial Day have a lack of understanding what the day actually means. You may "KNOW" but the understanding escapes you.

I'm not picking on you personally, but your post summed up the attitude of a lot of people, and friends of mine, so I'm using it to make a point. "It's just another day." type attitude. I'm not singling you out, but your post sums up far too many people nowadays.

When I do a bid on a property, I let all my customers know I do not work on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Armed Forces day or 9-11.

The guys I served with can't make up missing the birth of a child. They can't make up not seeing their family again because a bomb went off and killed them. I can't make up a 12 and 15 month tour to the family and friends I was separated from. All of us that served could list a million reasons to waste a perfectly good year and 15 months, let alone a week day, but we didn't. The LEAST anyone could do is push off a 12 hour work day and work the following Saturday. but hey, why have a tough week when you don't have to?

Guilty for not working? only if you sit on your butt all day. Going to a Memorial Service at a VFW hall or a Veteran Cemetery will cure that guilt real quick. You just might feel guilty about other things.

I may come off as a pompous a**, but seriously, this above ALL things chaps my butt............. what is so important about work that a little respect and recognition can't be given to men and women that deserve it above all others? Yes, even your clients

It is the
    not the preacher,
    who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the reporter,
    who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the poet,
    who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the campus organizer,
    who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the lawyer,
    who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the politician,
    Who has given us the right to vote. [​IMG]
  5. PetesLandscape&Supply

PetesLandscape&Supply LawnSite Member

Good man SaberLawnCare...I was wondering about the mind set here ...do you other guys really think your customers want to see you at there homes on a national holiday, that's just wrong.....wow :usflag:
  6. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I hope the ones who condemn the others for working won't buy gas, turn the TV on or do anything that requires someone else to work. I am working Saturday to mow a cemetery that will most likely go into Sunday so people who take the day off don't have to walk in tall grass.
  7. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Oh... Big monday list and I work 7 days a week so can t be skipping days.
  8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Even if I was "condemning" people who work, it's asinine to assume that gas station employees are going to be making noise at somebody's house while they have the day off from a "real job."
  9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly. No such thing as a holiday during working months for fear of a rain day really screwing us up. We have not had a dry week this entire spring so far. Example...Calling for rain tomorrow and friday morning.
  10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

First of all thank you for your service! Second you have to think about it like this. Those who serve, have served and have given the ultimate sacrifice have all fought for our freedom and that includes our freedom of choice. If somebody chooses to work so they can put food on the table and a roof over there families heads even on a holiday of any type then great for them and everybody should respect that even veterans.