1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is exmark owned by toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontstreetlawns, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

I was talking to my exmark dealer and he said that the frame on the exmark and toro are the same its just different pumps and cutting deck and clutch, then i went to the toro dealer later and he said that toro owns exmark, if this is the case why doesnt toro run the triton deck, its far superior in wet wheather and the productivity would be better in the rain
  2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would they lol thatd be a NIGHTMARE..from what i have seen and herd the triton deck BLOWS...i have a turbo force and i like it pretty well and imo is the best deck out there right now besides XR7
  3. Frontstreetlawns

you obviously are in a different climate than we are, her its very wet and almost every account in my county requires you to bag. so the triton deck is the best performing deck here. on a wet day i never stoped because of clumping, just when the bags got to full
  4. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

yes, Toro owns Exmark
  5. Frontstreetlawns

what advantage do they have to that?
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Toro owns exmark and do a search on triton. You will see many, MANY pages of problems.
  7. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I really wouldn't say that XR-7 is that much better than the Turbo Force. Hustler has had problems with the XR-7, however I have not heard any problems from the Turbo Force decks.

I mow when its pretty wet out and I just open my baffle wide open and it does fine. Sometimes there will be a clump here and there depending on what you are cutting and the height of grass. Overall great job. I love my Toro.

Also, Toro does own Exmark. Pretty much from the seat back is Exmark just different decks for the most part.
  8. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Yes Toro owns Exmark. They let them run as a separate company. The story I heard was anything Exmark comes up with, they get for 2 years before Toro can copy.
  9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro released Exmark to appeal to a new generation of LCO's from my perspective, not that that's really the reason.

When Exmark was introduced, the marketing campaign was...and still is, geared toward younger people by their look, techno junk on the mower, ect.

They remind my of the old slot cars that you could buy 3 million add-ons for.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how Exmark got there but they stayed there for the most part I would say because of quality, a high tech look, inonations such as the Ultra Cut deck. They are still one of the best handing mowers to me especially in tight area's with alot of trimming and manuevering. If you will notice Toro copied the whole mower and put thier name on it. Very little exept the decks, tanks , etc is different. I've been on most major brands of mowers and with the exeption of the new Triton deck they are hard to beat. Exellent resale value.