Is Exmark really the best? or was it the best?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by BLC14, Sep 13, 2012.

Exmark or Scag?

1. Exmark

74 vote(s)
  2. Scag

58 vote(s)
  1. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have scag and exmark. and i think exmark leaves a better cut and scag seems better in wet conditions.
  2. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

I really like the cut exmark leaves, but I really like how easy to operate the scags are. I don't own one, but I have seen or used one.

I really like both mowers.
  3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I own an older Exmark Ultracut series 4 -60" deck Laser. Having demo'd both the Exmark & Scag (after my purchase) at the GIE, I have a real high respect for Scag.

The most noticeable thing for me between the two, was the tight ass/low input controls of the Scag. There's a totally different feel between the two machines. The Scag has a unique feel of it's own.

Exmarks pumps/controls feel similar to Ferris, Toro, JD, Great Dane and some others. Whereas, Hustler might be on the other end with very well damped controls which are very easy to get used to.
  4. CLS_Birmingham

CLS_Birmingham LawnSite Member

Best advice anyone can give you is go demo both machines for yourself. Especially since were getting into the slow season. Go demo both and see which one you like best. I personally don't have any experience with SCAG, but I recently purchased a WB 36" ExMark. As for my 54", my Deere has been running like a champ since the day we got her. 5 years and haven't had a bit of trouble.
  5. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have both scag and exmark. i feel they r both equal to a point. my scags can cut high wet grass we ease,but the exmark leaves a better looking lawn. i spoke to scag tech support and they told me their number 1 competor is exmark. scags tech support is great i had some issues and they returned my call in no time to help me fix the in pa too.:cool2:
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

is any mower really the best or any equipment brand?

in my opinion, no.

everyone likes what they like for different reasons. take your poll between exmark and scag. some will swear by exmark, others will prefer scag. if you wanna include other brands some say walkers are superior. what about toro?

personally I use and love my toros and exmarks. reason being is with the other brands I have available they provide at least the same quality of cut if not better in my opinion yet they cost less. I can get scag, toro, exmark and walker. the scags and walkers are extremely expensive and in my opinion cut no better, offer nothing that would make superior in any way, shape or form than an exmark or toro. so why pay more?

the only mower in the market that has anything superior than another in my opinion is walkers bagging capabilities. besides that from what I've demo'd, seen pics of and seen in person there is no mower on the market that "out cuts" another.