1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is Fertalizing profitable? (residential)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Approach, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

In general, is it VERY profitable to offer fertalizer services to my residential customers, or just a LITTLE Profitable? Thanks.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The time and effort to get started, complying with the regs and getting liscenced, can be a bit daunting. It's the kind of work that if you and your shop were absolutely 100% legit, you'd still make a profit.
  3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

It is for me , I sub my fert and squirt out to a Local company ( they do alot of lawns for me ) and its all billed thru me.I get a break on pricing for multiple accounts and when i bill the client/ customer there is a mark up on their bill.It works for me and i dont have the headache of trying to run a fert and squirt company and buy the equipment.
  4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

It is very profitable, plus you get to control your customer's lawn performance. You are the best judge of what your customer's lawn needs. Get in good with your local Lesco rep and they can be a very valuable source of information of what is going on with lawns in your area. They'll make recommendations, then try to buy your supplies at a discounted level (sometimes difficult for a smaller LCO) and mark-up the supplies (pre-emergent, fert etc.) approximately 30% + your time and you'll enjoy a nice profit. You'll quickly find that it doesn't take much time to service an account and they will love the results.
    Good luck!
  5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as you charge what your service is worth.