1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is food a tax write off ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jim163, Jul 15, 2006.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

I met some idiot last week who claims to have 85 commercial accounts but I've never seen him working. Kid says he writes off breakfast and lunch. Is this possible?
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The short answer is no you can't. But yes, you can deduct "certain" meals. Example if you call a staff meeting of employees and have it at say a breakfast place then yes you can buy all the employees breakfast and deduct that. Also every once in a while you could say buy your employees lunch while they are on the job you could deduct that. But to just "deduct" every single breakfast and lunch, no not only can't you do that (and even more so if you are a solo op) but if he has employees and also buys theirs everyday, then that would probably be considered extra "salary" and in addition to their W-2's he would have to 10-99 that portion of their "pay". In addition the IRS meals deduction is only a 50% one also. In other words if the meal cost $10 you only get a $5 deduction......and then that is only on "legal" meals.
  3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, legally you can deduct food. This is what you need to do. First, buy a restauarant and charge it off that way. However, as MM said being solo is a big no. Good Luck!!
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think IRS is thinking your going to eat breakfast/lunch to live even if you are unemployed so why should a businessman get a deduction for that.
  5. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

I didnt think so. Just looking for more reasons to hate this kid.