1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is Ford triton v-10 a good engine??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Oct 23, 2007.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Im looking at a Ford F-250 Super Duty 02 with a v-10 and 128k miles. Is this a good motor?? Has anyone had any issues with this?
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i would find an 05+. they revamped the engine and made it alot better. the first few had spark plug issues. altho that may have been fixed by 2002. but yes the v-10 is an excellent engine if your not concerned with fuel milegae.
  3. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'll find the problem V10's were 2000 and older. My '01 F350 4x4 is great. From what I've read on various forums, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the V10 and a diesel in terms of mpg. I get a consistent 12-13 mpg average in a mix of driving, with my highest highway being 16. The pre-PS 7.3 I had before got 15 regardless of where and how you drove it. Both had 3.73s and AT, but the 7.3 was only 2wd.

With the price of diesel in my area being about a quarter more per gallon, it takes a long time to break even on spending the extra $6+k.

Somewhere online, I read an engine comparison of the "Big 3" current offerings compiled by a leading towing/rv magazine(?). The V10 was darn near as good as the 6.4 PS in performance.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

Thanks for your input Tex. When was the first year for the v-10? Im a little leary because it was a fairly new motor design. How bad is the mpg pullin a load (3, 4000#)
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

Thanks dbear, you answered my? before I sent it:laugh:
  6. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 02 Ford F-350 with the V-10..it's a good motor but personally I would get a diesel. When I drive my friends 07 6.0L diesel its like a whole new world compared to my truck. I love my truck its great but if I could do it all over I would buy a diesel. Personally they tow better, last longer, and get better mileage...and they are faster I love diesels and I don't even have one.

Actually I'm going to be chipping the V-10 along with intake and exhaust I'll let you know how it reacts to that right now it's stock.

Btw I only have 40k miles on my truck sometimes I hear a knock when the engine is cold does anyone else notice this with their V-10's?
  7. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how much weight you have to tow. I know a guy who pulls around skid steers with a V-10 but I wouldn't try it.

Diesel Power magazine had a matchup between the diesel and v-10 a month or two ago; maybe the article is on their website?

I would get the v-10 for sportiness, and to pull up to maybe 5000 pounds. Beyond that, get a diesel.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and I seriously doubt it will get anywhere near the mileage of the diesel, loaded, empty, or otherwise.
  8. mason dude

mason dude LawnSite Member

I have a 350 97 v-10 that has 172000 on it and besides sucking gas I havent had any major problems, alternator and belt, btw it knocks when cold too but I pull our travel trailer all the time and it's 9000 lbs, the spark plug issue was the fact that the heads are aluminum and folks were stripping the threads when replacing plugs, just get out the torque wrench and torque it to 7lbs and it'll be fine, also on this vehicle I have replaced the entire front end and the diff and the trans but the engine still doesnt use oil, just my experience...
  9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

a 97 v-10? they didnt quite make that engine then...the first year for the v-10 was 99. and the guy who gets 16 highway with his??? not sure your checkin it right... any v-10 ive seen has never got an better than 13-14 mpg highway, and thats 2 wheel drives. diesels are going to get atleast 4 mpg better than the v-10.
  10. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure how you're calculating it but here's how I do it: You divide the number of miles on the trip odometer by the number of gallons at fill-up. Hence MILES PER GALLON units.

It was only one time and it was all expressway driving, empty at 60-65 mph, about 250 miles total trip but it did happen. If you re-read my post, you'll notice I only claim a consistent 12-13 mpg.