Is gear drive on a wb really that bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hadly, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

I am looking at Deere GS 30 walk behind gear drive. I am just starting out and can get the unit for a good price. Should I steer clear?

2. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

Just starting out it will still be a great time saver to use a commercial peace of equipment, granted hydro is much better, just keep some belt dressing handy for early or wet days, good luck!

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, watch out when you back up on a slope!

4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

No gear drive is fine, but hydro is better. Lots of advantages to a hydro but you wont really miss them if you never had one. The major advantage is you can really utilize a sulky with a hydro. Turning with one on a belt drive is next to impossible with out doing damage to the turf.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

All I ever had were gear drives and I made out ok. If your yards are very hilly then that is when the problems start, but for the most part gear drives are ok

6. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Compared to a hydro they are awful! IMO!

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 7 wb's 32-52 - none are hydro. If you know how to operate them, you'll be fine

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the belt drive. Preferably a small one. When you have enough work to warrant a bigger one go for the hydro.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Yes...Very Very Bad.

No one will touch the Toro 32"...36" Belts now that I have Hydros in the Stable.

There is a Huge yes Huge difference in Time & Labor Saving.

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree. I've had a gear/belt drive 48" Bunton for 2 seasons and it still runs great. I use the NAPA belt dressing (much better than STP) when the belts begin to wear out, but when it's wet there's not a heck of a lot you can do to keep the belts from slipping. I've never had a problem damaging turf backing up, but it is more difficult. What's really important is that you know your equipment and your abilities.