1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is Gravely a good ZTR or What??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mc752000, Jul 31, 2003.

1. mc752000

mc752000 LawnSite Member

Hey fellows I need some help i was wanting to know about the Gravely ZTR's. Are they worth the money or not? I was thinking about purchasing one but not sure if it is worth it.:confused:
  2. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed alot of manufactures, and I felt for hte price, Gravely was the best deal. Thats all according to what ur dealer can offer you. My 260z has been a solid mower for me, no problems with the 25 kohler or the frame, deck, etc... I replaced one belt that I threw adn cut in half. Gravely belts are expensive though... I found a better cheaper replacement
  3. mc752000

mc752000 LawnSite Member

Where at in SE KANSAS wichita
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I tell you what, I'm an Exmark fan, but the price a local dealer quoted on a 60" Gravely with the L/C 27 engine today sounds appealing. I was picking up some Excalibur blades and walking toward the door to look at there 60" EPS Lazer when the salesman mentioned the price of the Gravely. I didn't pay much attention to the number he gave me at the time, but I thought about it tonight and...damn, that's a good price :eek:
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in this industry for a long time, and have been wrenching on equipment even longer. I examined a great deal of machines - Exmark, Hustler, Scag, Walker, Snapper, John Deere, Kubota, Ransomes - and came away with a healthy respect for how the engineers have really raised the bar on performance.
    What it came down to was dealer support for me as the machines I looked at where all good, reliable machines.
    I bought Gravely, both a 260Z and a ProG 36" wb. Not only am I glad I did as the machines are every thing I spec'd out but my dealer support is terrific. In 135 hrs of operation, the only trouble I have had is one blown fuse and one flat front caster tire. When the fuse went, the dealer gave me a replacement machine, a 252Z, to let my crew use, while he checked out my 260Z. The tire went yesterday at about 1300, I called, he did not have a tire in stock so he sent an employee to a tire store, acquired the tire, mounted it, and I was back in business. Actual down time, about 20 minutes.
    The other feature I liked (among many) of the 260Z is the lift master. I do not need a jack to raise the entire front of the machine off of the ground - far enough to easily service the deck of the front tires.
    Should my expansion continue, I have plans for more machines, all Gravely, and all from my dealer.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the Gravely walk behinds and have demoed the ZTRs. I think they make a great product and my local dealers are very helpful. Just demo everything you are interested in before you buy and make sure the dealer will support you.

7. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

My brother went gravely, this was year ago, mid 80's I went Ferris, but one think I noticed was the quality welding on the deck. Skaggs, Ferris, were all tough enough but Gravely actually took any cut and fold along the sides and welded the bead all the way from top to bottom and then ground it smooth. All the transitions welds on the deck were the best. No idea if this is still the case but around my area Gravely was big in the 70's and 80's and dropped off to Skags. Excell. At the end of the day, its the same engine with the same hydro pumps and wheel motors. You have to pay attention to linkage, deck preformance, guage of frame, weight distribution for slopes and hills and a good dealer makes up for a lot of things.
  8. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Chanute, little less than 2 hours away from wichita depending on ur speed :)

side note: When I went to Colorado Spring for a recruiting progam by the air force academy. On my tours through the Springs I noticed two 260zs like mine on a trailer. I'm thinking the owner of this company must be pretty cool, and when I pull up beside the truck, I realize its a Colorado Springs City Maitenance truck.

Also I'd like to know about the contractor that maintains the academy! I believe they have something like 260 acres of grass to maintain. I got a glimpse of one of their smaller crews. They were using hustler WAM's and some SuperZ's. I'm thinking this contractor is grossing at least 300k a year from them. Anyone know?
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This year I bought a Gravely 272Z with the turbo-diesel engine. I have no regrets. The cut is beautiful. Lots of speed and power. I also have 2 Grasshoppers and the Gravely will easily out-cut either of them.