1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is gravely by ariens a goo piece of equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, May 18, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a Gravely commercial walk behind mower with a 36" deck, bar controls instead of pistil grips, and a 13 horse kawasaki engine with two hours for $2300 and they threw the bagger in for free was this a good deal and is this a good piece of equipment?:confused:
  2. rabeaux

rabeaux LawnSite Member

3. jeremiahbabb

jeremiahbabb LawnSite Member

Although I use John Deere machines because they were easier to get a loan for, I have heard that Gravely makes some of the best commercial mowers period. I have seen several good deals for them in Equipment Trader and plan on buying one for myself soon.

Jeremiah Babb
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two 60" machines and a 72" machine, bought new between 1999 and 2001.

Two are Kohler, 1 is Kawasaki.

The 99 is going on its 5th season virtually trouble free.

The decks are very efficient and the hydraulic deck lift is indispensible.

I was tempted to get 3 new Kubotas ZTR's recently for more power, but I decided to keep the $30,000 +/- and repowered the 25 HP Kohler machines with Kohler 27 air-cooled engines. It was a bolt-in swap that took a few hours each.

Thousands of hours, trouble free, and good resale value.

A 1999 is on EBAY now with 980 hours and is getting about $3000.00 +/- with one day left in the auction, will probably sell for about $3200 +/-.

5. I have a 48" 1999 model ztr made by gravely but re painted and stickered so they could sell it as an ariens and it works great. never had any problems, but i did have to replace a hydrostat in it last year but I am gonna sell the old one to a place that rebuilds them for almost the same as they are new, because they are rare to find rebuilt ones
  6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: If replacing one of the most expensive and critical parts on your mower isn't a problem, how do you define problem?

BTW, Gravely makes a fine machine. I was considering the 250Z but ended up going with Husky from the dealer I usually do business with.
  7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi and welcome to LS. While I'm only using mine for my property, I have spent a fair amount of time messing around with my mower and I continue to be impressed with everything I've seen. You may have read a couple of my posts about the belt issue I had with the unit. This is the ONLY problem I've encountered with it and Gravely actually has a tech bulletin on it. It is extremely simple to fix and a MUST if you have one of these new units. Heres the link to my post on how to fix it. Do it now before you wear through your first belt. :)

8. ESlawns: I broke the hydrostat myself it was because i was doing things with it i shouldn`t have with it and it wasn`t because of it being faultly or anything.
  9. socty

socty LawnSite Member

I have owned 3 Gravely WB's and the 250Z, and they are all high quality machines. My only beef about the 250z is that the rear tires are too narrow, and as a result tend to compact certain lawns. It has the BS Vanguard 20hp, and fitted with a Peco bagger, it cuts beautifully. The new 48 Pro G is quite heavy, especially compared to my old 50 from 1999. The 50 is probably the most profitable machine I ever bought. My sole employee loves it, especially now that he realizes that if it dies, he'll have to muscle around the new 48!
  10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I am a gnats hair away from purchasing a Gravely 48" pro H. Going to the dealer wed to check one out. It seems like a lot of machine for the money. Costs a lot less than compairable w/b's, yet has more features: larger drive tires, electromagnet blade engagement, electric start, 8.5mph top speed (fast for a w/b),and a larger gas tank. I am an Exmark man, but is hard not to take serious notice of this mower. Can someone talk me out of this purchase?