1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

is Green Slime the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by americanlawn, Aug 4, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

What is your favorite product to repair or prevent slow leaks in mower tires, ride-on spreader tires, etc? Thanks, rscvp.:usflag::canadaflag:

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I just use fix a flat. The stuff in a can. Although someone told me it rusts out steel wheels. Oh well.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Slime works great for me

wayne

4. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah...if ypu leave it in the tire...I think fix-a-flat is to be used for temp. purposes until you can get your tire patched or plugged.

5. tlb9596

tlb9596 LawnSite Member

Slime is OK. We use a propylene glycol based slime that doesn't rust the wheels out like the ethylene glycol stuff does (Slime brand). It's good stuff. You also don't have to grind off the tire where the patch goes. It cleans off easily. Can only be had around here right now though. It's called Power Sports Puncture Seal. There may be other propylene slimes out there though, and that's what I'd recommend using.

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I try to avoid Slime when possible but it works GREAT in a pinch.

7. tlb9596

tlb9596 LawnSite Member

Yeah, it should only be used until you can get the tire patched. Slime is just a bandaid.

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Yea, I just keep a plug set on me at all times and never had an issue. That slime crap makes a mess and I would never take a tire full of that crap to my tire guy.

9. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

ive heard that when using fix a flat you need to be traveling at leats 45 mph for it to activate and work properly so it may not work the best in mowers