1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is grinding leaves a good thing.. or bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I know you are giving the nutrients back to the soil.. but does it make the soil acidic too?
  2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Been grinding leaves for years now - grass has never been or looked better

Thanks, Brad
  3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

i cant remember the link right off hand, but its proven that even continously mulching acidic leaves into the turf hardly effects the pH level. Dead leaves are not much more than carbon.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Greenman (or anyone else).. if you can find/provide info that references this let me know...

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Here's one-http://home.att.net/~Tillandsias/Mulching.htm
  6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

7. I know most have seen my no (now) way thread, but how fast and how many leaves can a yard eat and break down.

Like the name is, ground up leaves become "mulch".
  8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

LGF, I think it reallt depends on the volume and quantity of leaves first off, if you have just a dusting to maybe 2" of leaves, or whatever amount can be mulched with maybe 2-3 passes and still look presentable and neat, then that would be fine, but 6" or more where it would take more passes and there is a good volume of leaf litter still present in the lawn upon close inspection to the point where it would lay and crowd out the existing grass, then it has to be either mulched and picked up or picked up period.
    I mulch to a point, then it is bagging all the way, unfortunately there are just some prop's that can't be mulched and left due to the volume and type of leaves present ... such as oak and the like. They just don't mulch well and leave an unfinished appearance when you are done running them over half a dozen times even with Gators ....
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Another study concerning leaf mulching and it's long term effects on lawns:

I think the trick is to do them regularly (5-7 days) so that they are not allowed to smother the turf. It sure is easier to do them at least on a weekly basis.

Just go to yahoo.com, type "Leaf Mulching" into the search box, and you will find tons of ag studies touting the beneficial aspects of re-depositing organic-rich leaves back into the soil.
  10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Thats the site I was oringinally talking about and looking for. Thanks for posting it.