Is HD really needed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ALarsh, Feb 27, 2005.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So I found a pretty good deal on a 2000 Chevy 2500. The only problem is it is not a HD.

Do I really need the truck to be a HD?

What is the difference between a 2500 and a 2500 HD?

Thanks.

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It has less payload and less towing, being that it has a 14 bolt GM rear (IIRC) and lower rated leaf springs. The LD 2500 is still being made but at one point they were being made under the name of 1500HD. Basically its a heavy 1/2 ton truck. Oh and its probably got the 6.0 gas.

3. ALarsh

from Midwest

I looked it over again.. and the description says it is a HD.. but there is no badging on it saying Chevrolet or 2500.

Does this look like a HD to you?

1635A-2000CHEVORLETBLACK4X4-01.jpg

4. ALarsh

from Midwest

I am wondering why there is no Cheverolet badging on this??

1635A-2000CHEVORLETBLACK4X4-09.jpg

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

has it been body shopped?
    very nice looking truck. check fenders & doors for vin stickers, if there is none its probably been in a wreck and thats why no badges.
    as long as its a solid, reliable truck i would think it would do what you are after without a problem.

6. ALarsh

from Midwest

ok, Thanks guys.

I do not know if it has been body shopped. I will check for vin numbers if I win it.

7. Smalltimer1

That truck is an LD 2500 aka 1500HD. The grill on the HD has the bigger chrome bar, that one has the same one that 1/2 ton 1500's have.

It appears to have GMC hub caps, which suggests to me that truck is a salvage or has been chop shopped.

8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

By looking at the picture, it is not the HD version. The HDs have a different front end design (hood bulge, bigger grill...).

The 2500 is rated for 8600 lbs GVWR, the 2500HD is 9200 LBS GVW. The 2500 will have the 6.0L V8. I believe it has a lighter frame than the HD.

The badging has probably been stripped for a more clean appearance.

EDIT: you beat me to it smalltimer. I didn't notice it had the GMC caps. Makes me wonder if it wasn't wrecked. Maybe it had the cheap steel wheels and they upgraded to the aluminum ones?

9. Smalltimer1

Not bad for being a Ford guy, ay? :D

10. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

this looks like a very bad investment. I would never buy something like this. it sounds very shadey!!!!