Is Heavier better???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spalmer97, Mar 25, 2003.

1. spalmer97

spalmer97 LawnSite Member

I am considering two similar commercial walk behinds and one is 100 lbs heavy than the other. Is there any benefit to having a heavier mower? Any info appreciated. Thanks, JP

2. Heavier equipment's tougher.
    It doesn't bounce around on rough ground as much.
    They normally have fatter tires to compensate for the added weight.

But I still wouldn't buy mowers "by the pound".
    Other features are more important, but since you asked, yeah, heavier's better.

Dave

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What david said!

lazer&tracer resized.jpg

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, heavier is better. There is a post running about problems with the machine bouncing. Since I sound like a broken record talking about the Hustler "not" having any bounce problems, I never bothered to respond. Hustler WB.... 650/670lb.

sulky3.jpg

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Agree with all of the above statements.

Gravely_Man

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not if you're stuck in the middle of somebody's lawn, it isn't:angry:

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not if you're looking for a wife, it isn't.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I disagree

I am looking for a lighter machine but with larger tires. the problem is that the large tires only come on the heavier machines:rolleyes:

I never had a problem with buncoing when running Snappers or Lescos( a little on the 36" decks but that's what weight kits are for)

I think deck bouncing is more of a matter of an unbalanced machine or going to fast for conditions.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Paul adjust your sulky hitch if possible. Make it so the draw point on the mower frame is below the frame. It will put more leverage on it to keep front end down more. A weight kit like you say isn't a bad idea either. This is how your sulky should pull if you are having problems (see pic) I moved it up for alittle more wheel traction but it's even with the frame now. Yours may not be adjustable but a trip to the local fab shop will fix that (make an adapter plate). See how it pulls below the frame?

4.jpg

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB

I am running a jungle Wheels.

I never said I had any problem.
    that was the people who want a heavier machine, I want a lighter one.

It handles BETTER with the sulky than without.

Jungle Wheels design puts your feet slightly behind the sulky wheels, this uses some leverage to push down slightly on the front. that's their design.

If anyone is having more problems with the front of the mower lifting more when using a sulky , try standing farther back on the platform (behind the sulky wheels.

But BHB Your attempt at a castering sulky didn't work partly because you overdid this concept by putting your weight way to far back.

The weights kits I have used where only on 36" machines because their decks are smaller thus lighter. Both are/were factory kits. We added the one to the Snapper and the Lesco was on it when I got it. Both were simply a block of steel or two bolted to the front of the deck.

Lookiing at your sulky, it lookd like a pretty close copy of the Jungle wheels. The wheel axels are at the front of the platform . right?

We will all be mowing soon.:D