Is Hydro drive worth the extra $1400

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacKenzie, Jan 23, 2003.

1. MacKenzie

MacKenzie LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

I wanted to get some advice from you guys with experience...

Is the Hydro drive wb worth the extra $1400 - I'm looking at both a maintenance & performance perspective. ( I did some search's already on this, but did'nt anything from this angle )

I'm ready to buy, but I'm not sure if I should drop the extra dollars now or maybe for the next mower down the road???

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, it most certainly is.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends. Will this be the front line main mower for some time? If so, yes get the hydro. If it will be used occassionally, then not really. My 36" is a belt driver. It only is used for areas a bigger mower will not fit. The extra $$ would take years for me to recoup the cost. If we did lots of small lawns, then yes I would definately have a hydro.
  4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man....Ive been down this road before.:)

Is it worth $1400 extra? Well when I bought my machines it wasnt for me. If I was in the market for a new WB right now I would still by a belt drive. I dont personally beleive they are worth $1400 more. But thats me. 9 out of 10 other people on here will tell you otherwize. There are a lot of advantages to owning a Hydro overr a Belt Drive. You just have to figure out which one is more worth it to you.

Shop around and test out both kinds. That is the best way to determine what is best for you.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned both belt and hydro and for ME hydro is the only way to go. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra for you. Good luck. I agree with what 65 Hoss said.
  6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Lot to think about when making a major purchase.
    Last year I upgraded my steering wheel for 1 ZTR rider,25hp,60", and 1 ZTR w/b hydro, 17hp,48". I am for the most part a one man operation until I get behind and then have a part-timer come on board to help. In that situation, I always run the hydro w/b. It is so called "my mower" on location. The ZTR rider is for the helper to operate. I didn't give a 2nd thought on the hydro part of my w/b. I have been in business for some time and I knew this would be the type of drive to hold up to years of mowing. I never owned a belt drive but did look at one briefly. Looked like alot of moving parts in the drive system to wear out as normal wear.(belts, pulley's, bearings and such.) I feel I made a good decision for my operation. If you know your gonna be doing this for a while, then spend the extra $$$. It is a sweet machine.

What was your first impression on each machine? Go with that..
    Let us know what your decision was in future post. Thanks
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The bigger the WB, the more worth it Hydro is !

32" mmm, no biggie.
    60" FOR SURE!

Anything 40+" = Hydro.

If it's got 3 blades, it should have 4 hydro hoses.
  8. MacKenzie

MacKenzie LawnSite Member

It's a 48" - I'm deciding between the Metro HP & the Turf Tracer. I'll be testing it out tommorow and probably making up my mind then ( I've already tried a different mfg 48" belt drive - fixed deck and was'nt too crazy about it )

I'll let you know what I decide on.
  9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've got a TTHP 52" (2002 model - back-up mower)
    - Love it.

If it's your "every down" (football term) mower, the $1400 is a wise investment. You'll get much of that back with re-sale and maintenance will be less.

Having said that, the Metro HP is the best belt-drive mower ever made.
  10. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Without a doubt!