Is image important?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Newbie, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Lawn Newbie

Lawn Newbie LawnSite Member

Hello All,
    I hope some of you will be able to tell me if image makes a significant difference? We get dirty and it shows fast. I want to know if spending time and money on a nice looking truck, trailer, uniforms, and logos makes enough difference in setting you out from the fly-by-nighters that low-ball? Thoughts please?

-Lawn Newbie
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Its just part of the package. A new clean truck and nice uniforms might get your foot in the door but if you don't have the skills and knowledge it wont carry you.

Your market will also have something to say about it. I offer a premium full service product. My clients pay top dollar and they expect to not be embarrassed by the rig in front of their home or in their driveway.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Actually I had more biz my first couple of years with a smoking ragged van, rusty murray and home made trailor. Man, did I look like a first class scr*b.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is image important? Only for the long run.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Looks in and of itself mean and guarantee nothing, but do shower and wear clean (washed) clothes daily.
    Underarm deodorant wouldn't hurt.
  6. rocksrscott

rocksrscott LawnSite Member

As a new this year LCO my partner and I have had several (more than 3) people stop by while we were cutting their neighbors lawn to get business cards because of how we looked, and the way the lawns looked. Ourselves as well as our equipment. We wear jeans and jean shorts not new but no holes or stains in them. We do not have uniform shirts but we both wear dark green Under Armor shirts and it looks better than T-shirts with wild printing on them. Our equipment is always blown off of excess grass and washed at least every other week with 17 weekly cuts for two part-timers they look good. Our truck is a 2001 F150 clean no rust with door signs, Vinyl lettering it looks better than magnetic signs. We are part-time this year who knows next year.
    Licensed Insured Quality equipment Great Service:usflag:
    Image is not everthing but it is a great start. Quality will keep you in business.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes the image you give is important-- But your work is part of that-- You should always produce 1st class work-
    New is not important-- neat and clean are--
    Dirt is not bad, we work in it, but proper clothes BELTS UP AT YOUR WAIST- not 1/2 way down you butt!! no ripped shirts or pants- Shirts with sleeves. none of those Soprano look shirts-- We all wear the same color which i feel helps us be recognized- same as trucks -trailers -cards -letterhead but that is not needed at start--
    some people do not care-- some do-- if you look good it can not hurt, only help, if you look like a slob, 1/2 the people will not want that.
    I am a businessman entering into a business transaction with this customer, taking care of their biggest investment- Do I want that customer to feel comfortable around me and comfortable with me or my guys on their property-- you bet!
  8. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Image is everything, first impressions can make you or brake you. Doing a good job with a smile and polite manner can go a long way.
  9. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, to what degree depends on you market. JMO
  10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Classic phrase:
    Never get 2nd chance to make 1st impression
    Dont judge a book by its cover (but we all do in some way or another).

Just look best you can afford dont go in debt trying to LOOK good. Do quality work, treat your clients right,be proud of what you do.