1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is Ironite idiot proof?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by cutman2000, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of using Ironite because I'm still trying to gain enough knowledge and confidence to use a more standard fertilizer. I still have a slight fear of burning someone's lawn. I know Ironite will stain concrete, so now I'm even afraid to use this. Now I'm afraid the rain will carry this stuff on my customers driveways. To those who have use this, what do you do to avoid it running onto driveways, and how long does it takes to turn the lawn green?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

So try Milorganite or an organic product for the first few lawns. It is so low in active ingredients and an organic slow release--you cannot burn the grass--of course you can apply it unevenly--green stripes are not good. Do it right the first time. Unless you enjoy apologizing.
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Centipede turning red means it is potassium deficient. Better read the bag before you spread anything on that grass. Many fertilizers have potassium chloride as the potassium source and that is toxic to centipede. Even more so on clay or loam soils.
  4. Pro-turf lawn

Pro-turf lawn LawnSite Member

Sorry for hijacking by the way. I just needed to know quick
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Ironite is idiot proof. Apply at bag rate with a broadcast spreader to dry turf. Blow off any granules from hard surfaces. I've never had a runoff problem. Results usually start within 3 days. Do not use a drop spreader or you will get lines. I frequently mix it with straight fert to get a little more kick as most bags factory mixes only have 2-4% iron in them.St. Augustine and bermuda love it:usflag:
  6. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

Would simply using Ironite alone give grass that deep dark color?
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, bear in mind though its not a long term treatment. 60-90 days max.:usflag:
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The other point about Milorganite, is that it is cheaper than Ironite, becuz it has more Iron per lbs... at least around here it is...