Is it a bad idea to advertise $20 lawns?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by recycledsole, Aug 9, 2014.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I have a few very small lawns I do for $20. Im thinking to put "weekly mowing starting at $20." Most lawns I do are $30. I don't want to attract the cheapest people, But I want to get a lot of business also and I think this will get people to notice.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

What size are the lots you can do for $20? Around here I usually see people that advertise "Starting at $35", but the fastest I've mowed a lawn was in 40 minutes (with 20" mower) and the lot size was about 6500 SF. I just did a rough estimate, by measuring on findlotsize web site. Could you do those in 20 minutes using a 30" (or walk behind, if it fits)?
    I don't think I would make enough money doing anything for $20. And I'm kind of afraid to advertise my minimum starting price, because I don't want to deal with cheap people either.

But I noticed you said "weekly", so it's possible the cheap people wont' go for that. :)

3. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You'll have to go give estimates for a lot of lawns. Some will be cheapos and some wont. It's up to you if the wasted time is worth the extra calls and possible signups.

Do you have a set minimum? I wouldn't advertise that you have a certain starting price unless you actually will mow for that. minimum is $30 (I have 2 that I do for 20 but they are neighbors and one is family so that's different) and don't advertise any lower than that.

4. recycledsole

from MD

The lots im doing are 1 townhouse, with about 2k sq ft, a small house with 3k sq ft and a front yard with 2k sq ft. I might raise the last 2 next year. They all take about 20 minutes solo.
    I can check on the internet for a rough estimate.
    I don't have a minimum. What if I get 5 townhouses in a row that takes me 15 minutes? and only a small front yard? I could do those for cheaper than 20.
    Its not sounding like the best idea to me now.

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I don't advertise it but I mow 20 small lots (in one community) that range from$15 to $25. Most of these lots adjoin. I can do 4 lots/hour, mow, edge, trim and blow. Works for me.

6. recycledsole

from MD

Yea that's exactly what im looking for.

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

With all those town house units in Md, shouldn't be to hard to coral several.

8. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can get $20 for 2k or 3k square feet; that's a pretty good price in my opinion.

Now on the other hand, if that's below the market price, then I would stay in tow with the market price. Here's my experience.

A couple years ago I read this huge LawnSite thread on Just Mow It. He is from Texas and, according to the thread, built a huge business, 3K plus lawns with $25 mowing. Some say he was lowballing, others say he didn't...anyways, I purchased 10k fliers, maybe a couple K more, and spread them throughout my service area. The price I posted on the door hangers/fliers were about $10 less than the market prices. I thought, "I pack my routes with a lot of customers, and they'll be grouped together really tight."

Well it didn't work nearly as well as I assumed. Some would say that's because of the door hanger, I don't think so. It looked great, I had a lot of feedback from people not in the industry, so potential customers basically. That was my 2nd year.

This year, year 3...and I flipped the script. I started charging at market price higher on my fliers/website, and I landed more jobs. Okay so what's the deal here? Maybe my service area sees through the "lowball" garbage as bad work...maybe not. But I can tell you this; at year 3 we're doing well. However, had I priced accordingly year 2 customers, I would not be running a mower this year. I would have my crew running the mowing while I focused on the business and up-selling.

Just my thoughts on this...

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly. Why not target market those with a laser, rather than a bomb? Direct market the pricing that works for you, rather than float to the general public "Starting at $20", which will unleash a steady flow of time-wasting estimates from price shoppers?

10. recycledsole

from MD

what do you mean? That I only pass flyers out at townhouses that say $20? That actually isn't a bad idea, make a flyer directly for townhouses, explaining the specials and encouraging folks to get their neighbors to use me.
    I would definitely have to research which ones have a lawn service doing all the lawns in the development, vs. folks have to do their own. Its easy to see if 1 company does everyone theyre all cut similar, but if they don't they are all different conditions and different heights.
    Thanks a lot