Is it a business or a job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Jan 8, 2007.

If your absence will affect the business, what is it?

1. Its just a job you bought yourself

31 vote(s)
  2. Its still a business

59 vote(s)
  1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Alot of people on here say if the owner (you) cant take off for an extended period of time, then you only have basically bought yourself a job and dont own a business. Do you agree with this?
  2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, True in any business or indeavor.

Been there done that.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

whats the point of owning your own business if you can't enjoy its benefits.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends on the size of the business. A solo operator may run his own business and get some benefits but they will be different benefits from what the owner of a larger business may recieve.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you really think Bill Gates, took weekends off when he started out? I doubt it. More than likely he worked very long hours and never had the time or the money to take a week of let alone more. He like everyone on here had an idea of what he wanted to accomplish and he worked everyday to get there. It takes time and lots of it to get a business up and running before you can start to let it go on its own, having employee's run it while you take time off. In the beginning it may seem like a job because you do most if not all the work yourself and put all your money into the business. In time if you stick with it and make the correct decisions it will turn into what you make it.
  6. Mean Green Lawns

Mean Green Lawns Banned

LISTEN... From what I can tell this is the LAST place you should be asking that question.. Ask your wife or family what they think. Being a business owner leaves you that right to decide what you do and when. Take the time off if you need it but cover your azz you know. NEVER NEGLECT YOUR FAMILY, GOD, OR YOURSELF FOR SOMETHING TODAY THAT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU TOMARROW...

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Good post, exactly what I was thinking.

In many ways, isn't having weekends off and 2 weeks vacation very similar to having a 'job'?? :laugh:
  8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I think a lot of guys look at running a LCO as a Job, and not a company.....I have said before, and I will say again, you have to plan, and plan ahead and then you wont have to worry about if you can take vacation or not.....I do agree that if you are just starting out, you need to work weekends, long hours, and 7 day work weeks to develop a really good and healthy work ethic so that when you start to expand and hire people, they will have a bar to reach that you have set. Plus the more time work, the more experience.....For any vet that isnt taking time off, or is still working like he just started, then you need to re-evaluate what you are doing and come up with a new plan of action. I am loving spoiling myself now....about to buy a new boat for some good fishing this summer, and we are have a house built on 2.5 acres......and I cant wait.....I need to space, and I am going to be in a great location in conjunction with where my lawns are.....and I will be taking two vacations this year, one during spring break, and the other for my wedding anniversary, plus the down time during the short off season...
  9. Mean Green Lawns

Mean Green Lawns Banned

I like the way you think Tj
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Businesses evolve over time. In the beginning it is unlikely that an owner could expect the business to operate on its own without the day to day production or oversight of the owner. If after say 5 years you can't take off for a month or longer and have the business operate without you, you own a job no matter how many employees you have.

At the point when your operation can function profitably and continue to grow without you it has evolved into a business. whether it takes 3-5-or 7 years however long that takes that is the point when you own a business.

If you are a solo and you think you own a company you are delusional. You own a job. Thats not saying you are a second rate operator or anything its just semantics. You would'nt call a bear a cow, because they are not the same. Both are big and dark in color but different animals altogether.