Is it a "Class" thing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Feb 20, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Have you had customers that you thought paid you late because it seemed they just didn't really care? I have a couple of clients where I know if I was their...say...Bloomingdales, or say Tiffiny's, that bill would be paid pronto. But the "Lawn Guy"?...ahh, he can wait. Both doctors...go figure.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I nipped this in the bud last year with slow paying customers. At the end of last season any new landscape jobs etc. I was very adament about how and when we were paid. I didn't have any problems after that. Just be nice to them but stern! I think people respond better and take more serious when we are direct and to the piont and very adament about how and why we do things.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It's real easy to know why.

"Bloomingdales, or say Tiffiny's" will ding their credit and therefore hurt their lifestyle....they figure the lawn monkey won't....so you get paid last.

NOT saying that you are, but in general to many guys are just lawn monkies, nothing more. The light bill is paid and they have a six pack in the frig so they are okay this week. This is a business and to be successful it must be run as a business. Don't be just a lawn monkey, be a business, act like a business, run it like a business and you'll get paid. Rarely do we have payment issues, but when we do we take immediate action to stop and prevent it.

4. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

I doubt that it is a "class thing" doctors have full schedules, they may pay all their bills on the same day, or have a service handle household expenses.
    All of my customers are professional people. They pay me monthly, quarterly or yearly, makes no difference to me.

Later,
    Doug

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Best advice anyone will ever give you.........
    Never work without a contract for anyone, especiallydoctors, lawyers or clergy!

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO...great sig line Ed:laugh:

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All of my new customers get a new customer "FAQ". Included in the FAQ is the assurance that I can and will put any refusal to pay a past due on their credit record. Just set up an account at www.olddebts.com and you can too. It is a very effective tool for getting paid and I have a 100% collection rate when using it.