is it a growning business?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by scooterbug311, Jan 31, 2008.

1. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

well i want to get into pond building, design and installing, but is it worth it? is the money out there? is it as cutthroat as lawn care? how would i push to advertize? i need any kind of pond expertize i can get. Hit me up with some info please.

2. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

Bug,

The first and best advice I can offer is just to build one even if it is at cost or free. Build one at your home, parents house, a friends, somewhere where you can learn as you go and tweek your developing process.

TR

3. scooterbug311

thank you so much for all the advice big creek. i think i will be turning to you for more advice and you being a good go to guy.

thanks,
    the bug

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a big business that you charge a pretty penny for ..if you know your stuff....learn ,read , go to classes ..practice and then sell it. Doing a few even for free as mentioned above will be a great thing to ...practice makes perfect and you need to be able to sell what your doing and how it will be done....there are tons of ways to do a single waterfall and lay liners in and and and ....so you can see...LEARN ALL YOU CAN AND KEEP LEARNING. Good Luck

5. scooterbug311

do you have any prefered manufactor of products that you use? what about books and websites? anything you could suggest that would be great.

thanks,
    the bug

6. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the website.
    http://howgoodcanyouget.com
    It is Savio's contractor website. They have a list of places they are going to do training. I bet there will be one in CO soon.

Many local suppliers of pond goods hold one day hands-on pond builds with training. I mentioned CPS in another thread and I know you have Ewing there also.

If you could swing it, in my area this week one of the countries biggest wholesalers is hosting a 3 day water feature educational event called Spring kick off. There will be a great pond build Wednesday with a nationally known pond builder, and 2 more days of classes. If you could afford to find a cheap ticket it would be worth it because the training is free!

This is a good rescource for buying materials too. Go to http://pondliner.com
    they sell most everything you could ever need. They will give you technical help as well to piece together a proper system. They will send you a wholesale catalog with prices that are lower than the site. Sounds like Bigcreek is a great resource also.

Let me know if I can help. I am just starting to specialize in water features so I have spent alot of time researching what training is available. I am also really excited to be able to talk to someone working in CO. Loveland or FT collins is where I would like to move.