Is it a pain to get on and off a rider to empty the grass catcher?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Feb 18, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking of getting a toro 34" rider (similar to phazer). If I put a grass catcher on it will it be annoying to get on and off to empty the catcher or pick up things in the yard?

I use a wb w sulky and it's cake to go from mowing to walking instantly. I get the feeling it may be a pain to get on and off a rider all day. I'm solo so I won't just be mowing, I'll be on and off all day. I've never used a rider before so maybe it's not so bad.

Anyone know what I mean? Is it a pain in the neck to get on and off? I know the hydro rider will be more comfortable to use than a belt walk and more productive so I'm sure that outweighs any inconvenience, but let me know what you think about that please.
    Thanks for your help.
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

no more uncomfortable than getting out of a chair at home to me. i usually give the property a quick once over before i start cutting anyway. someone usually leaves toys or a garden hose out anyway.
  3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i think you answered it yourself. i'd rather get on and off, than walk all day. you could go even further and buy a bagger that dumps from the seat, but thats big bucks. i'm getting a 3 bag system vs. 2 bag, just to save the constant stopping when full, that bothers me more than the up and down. bigger is always better.

and i'm mostly alone when i mow, and i do most of the trimming and clean-up, and thats enough walking for me, i wouldn't sweat the getting on and off stuff. sitting down will outweigh the bagging stuff.
  4. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I didn't know that Toro made a 34" rider. Is it new this year and what model number is it?
  5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

New this year and it is model Z300. It is not on the their web site yet. It comes with a 19 hp engine (I think kawi) and a chocie of either 34" or 40" inch cutting deck.
  6. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

Metro36 - Thanks, is there any site I can check it out on?
  7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Not that I know of. My dealer told me about it a while back. I just saw an add for it in this months turf. It was on a page with alot of toro stuff (no pic though).
  8. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

9. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a picture of mine:

Here is my bagger. Yes, It comes in handy but is a PITA to empty all the time.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I used to feel the same way until I owned an exmark with the dump from the seat bagger, this thing was fantastic! I did not even dread bagging a yard like I did before I had it. Thats why I purchased another, have been sorry I sold my first exmark ever since.