Is it a rookie mistake to do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

This will be my first season I've been asking a lot of newbie questions I greatly appreciate everyone here. The question is about leaf removal I have a husky backpack blower and I was just going to do the tarp and trailer removal method, but I don't know if that's what should be done. Also do most of you edge with a weedeater or do you have a designated edger. Thanks again love the site.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Not at all. I know a lot of people who string edge after many years of working. If I were you I would use the tarp and trailer method until you can afford a leaf vac or a bagger for your trailer

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Tarp is ok, I mulcn the leaves and then bag them with my mower. You may want to invest in a stick and string edger, if you cant get both then the only opition would be a string trimmer

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I trim with just a strong trimmer, its not easy at first but you get the hang of it.

As for leaves, just do the tarp method until you generate some income. Don't spend all you money on a machine that will sit for 9 months a year.

5. hemiman

hemiman LawnSite Member
    from Earth

I use a stick edger. It makes great lines and looks better than an edge done by a weed whacker

6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends where you're located as to how many leaves, how much time you have to clean them up, and how much business you have. Leaves are extremely lucrative depending on what part of the country you're in and how quickly you can get each job done and move onto the next. New equipment isn't necassary and good used equipment can easily pay for itself in a season or less depending on where you're located.

Designated edger. Starting out you could look into a commercial combi unit with quality attachments. Will save you money and space. Depending on where you're located will dictate what all you'll need.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. hamiltonenterprising

hamiltonenterprising LawnSite Member

What blower you getting ? maybe a used self propelled vac

8. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

We use to edge with a trimmer. We switched this year to stick edgers and have had less complaints on over edging. It make a nice clean crisp line. This is on concrete, around bed edges is still done with a trimmer

9. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an edger. The quality of my edges is one of the things that makes my work look better than certain other lawn companies in my area.

10. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great replies guys I will definitely just spend the 250 on a decent stick edger I've tried edging my house with my stihl weedeater and it doesn't look great like I want it to. I'm in Missouri as far as the leaves go. I'll just do the backpack blower and the tarp method to start off with. I'm not sure how hard it will be with me being solo doing the tarp method. Do most of you guys have a designated trailer for just leaves with high plywood walls?
    Posted via Mobile Device