1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it a rookie mistake to do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

If your lawns are kept up with on a regular basis, some people with a higher skill set can use string trimmers with the same or better results than stick edgers.

However, if the edge hasnt been done in a great while, nothing beats the stick edger.

IF you or a worker are exceptionally good at it, the use of the stick edger once or twice a year, with string edging intermittent through out the season saves a ton of time over stick edging on a regular basis...especially on much larger properties.

Make sure however that the client is paying for this service as edging is not traditionally part of "mow blow and go"
  2. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Great tip thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

When you get that new client and the area hasnt been edged in a long forever a stick edger cant be beat. Once you get the area in shape a string trimmer will usually do the trick.
    Using a string trimmer just takes practice.
  4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Once or twice in the Spring I use a straight shaft edger and then I use a trimmer the rest of the season. Make sure your investing in good equipment from the start.

5. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I went out today and used my trimmer w/ a blade to edge my driveway. I was bored and it was nice outside so I figured what the heck. I think it turned out okay although I won't be doing it at any clients house until I buy a real stick edger!

6. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

You can really mess up a sidewalk or driveway if you lose control of that blade, or even a car.

7. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I can imagine. My wife's car wasn't there when I was doing it that's for sure. I was just itching to fire up the trimmer again and thought, " what the heck." It did a decent job, wasn't very practical and was a pita so I just did the driveway and said screw the sidewalks. I'm definitely buying a stick edger this year though!
  8. hemiman

hemiman LawnSite Member
    from Earth

Check out the lawn edging blade from kageinnovation.com its made out of UHMW
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are many ways to deal with leaves and you should use whichever method works on a particular lawn. Since I don't get tons of leaves in the fall I mulch the leaves on a few jobs. On other jobs I blow them out into the woods. I also have a large Brinley collection unit as well as a Grass Packer bagger for my walkbehind. I do whatever is the fastest on that particular job.

In so far as the edger goes, if you have a lot of concrete to edge, I would go with a dedicated edger. It's really a judgement call.

Here's my leaf cleanup setup.

10. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a dedicated edger, every mow, every property.

Once the initial groove is cut in, I can run the edger as fast as I can walk, every mow thereafter. I haven't seen anyone with a string trimmer edge concrete as fast, or as nice, as I can with an edger. Furthermore, I never deal with the sting breaking or having to reload. In the end, an edger blade costs way less than all the string used for an equal amount of edging, without leaving bits of broken string around the property.