1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is it bad to get a bmw?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JasonPC, Oct 2, 2003.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Ok, I know the post sounds strange. But I'm thinking of getting a 5 series 98 BMW. I own a two crew landscaping company that specializes in stonework and design. I work my tail off and want to buy it. However, it would be my wife's car and she does all the design work so she'd be meeting clients in it and she'd be at the job sites during installs with it. So basically what I'm saying is that our clients would see as would some prospective clients. Is it too much? Will they think we're too expensive? Or am I just paranoid? I don't want to harm my business with it. But we work so hard that I feel like I've earned it.

2. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

Thousands of American manufacturing jobs are being lost to foreign countries. When there are no manufacturing jobs left and we are a service economy there won't very many job sites left to drive anything onto.
    Please, buy American made products and encourage your friends and families to do the same.
    Be proud to pull onto any job site with any American made vehicle.
    1st Class Lawn Service
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is so funny that this post was brought up because I was just thinking this same thing the other night. My wife and I are currently looking into buying some property and building a house, well I was thinking of moving shop on the property beside the house as well. But what would my employees think of a huge house. Would they feel then that they should be paid more if I can afford a house like that? Very good point though
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

What he said.
  5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a 1968 Chevrolet Camaro instead.
    For the price of the BMW, you will get a heck of a lot more attention out of it.
    Then, if you find your wife doesn't like driving it, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands!:D :D :D

PS- Hugger Orange Please, with the Black racing Stripes!:blob3:

(I miss mine :cry: )
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If that is what you want, then go and get it and use it for business. It isn't like you getting a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow or Lamborghini Countach...then you might have a problem...lol
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call a repair shop that works on BMW's and get some prices on what it would cost to replace brakes, starter,muffler,etc. and compare it to your current vehicle. I heard they were expense to repair.

I had a Mazda RX7 a few years back and it cost $500 to replace the muffler and that car had 2 mufflers. Was a good fun car but watch out for the repair bills. I sold it after 1 year.
  8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Buy American Made. For Estimate's and design Work I drive My 2003. Jeep Grand.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

NEVER have a shop by your house, and pull up in a normal American made pick up.
  10. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

American made regardless of the purpose.

But for a "design person".... now that brings some STYLE into to the equation.... A designer should have a stylish vehicle, not just an ordinary rig...

68 Camaro wins!
    Or go grand with '54 Chevy pick-up!

BMWs, I intentionally pull out in front of BMWs and Mercedes when I see them coming down the street. Then I go really slow in front of them and crank up my Chris LeDoux music :D