Is it bad to install sod in pouring rain?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SoloSulkySurfer, May 7, 2008.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I have my first ever sod job to do Friday (3 pallets) and it is forcast to pour all day. I couldnt care less about getting wet (I own lots of Goretex) but will it create any problems for the lawn that im not thinking of? I also need to get the job done so it may be a good project for a rainy day. Everything is already graded and ready to go so no problems there.

Also curious if you put down the lime and starter fertilizer before you lay the sod or after?

Thanks for the help!

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'd think that if the ground is MUD you are going to have a hell-of a time just walking thru it back and forth with the sod. Then, all your footprints in the mud will create an uneven surface with voids under the sod. Some of that could be corrected with a good rolling, but the sod is going to want to slip and slide all over. I don't know your soil conditions though.

3. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

any other advice?

4. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

depends on how hard it is raining, you don't what to roll out the sod on to mud

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

dont do it youll mess the yard up trampling around in the mud, its be a bear getting through it carrying material using a wheel barrel and raking it smooth, and if the sod gets wet and heavy they rip easier and are harder to place being heavy

6. you won't have to water it in.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Put down a thin (1/2") layer of compost, or a slow release starter fertilizer...AFTER you lay the sod.

Same thing with the lime or split-pea sulfur, but only if the soil test(s) you have taken show a great "extremity" in that specific lawn towards either acidity or alkalinity on the pH scale, respectively.

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

so are you laying sod today???? its pouring here and probably wont stop all day

9. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Laying it in a good rain would be like someone walking across the sod after you have soaked it. Bad idea. I like to put the lime and fert down on the semi-preped soil then it gets worked in with the pulveriser when I do the finish grading. The sod farm says not to apply fertilzer directly to the sod for so long because it could burn it consider it has been stressed being cut.

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That's because sod farms, this "cooler" time of year especially, almost exclusively use AG GRADE fertilizers that are 100% quick release...such as 12-12-12 or 19-19-19, to cover 6000 or 9500 sq ft per bag respectively ( at 1# NP or K / 1000).

They do this because it's the most economical for them for large acreage, and that's fine.

Lawn care guys and landscapers should be giving their customers on much SMALLER parcels better value than that.