1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it bad to side discharge ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Jul 7, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what the negative effects may have on the lawn. Not discharging 2" clippings or anything but small amounts, is it bad? I searched but I cant seem to find any info. Thanks
  2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

It's actually good for the yard. As long as the clippings are to long. They break down very fast.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

As of today, I have about 38 accounts. All of these yards are mowed every 7 days and all of them are side discharged. If you "manage" your height, you can successfully side discharge and by doing so, you add valuable notrogen back where in t belongs, in the lawn.

I run a Exmark all season long without a bagger. If there is heavy grass then rarely I have to double mow.
  4. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Good to hear, I double cut if the clippings are too long also. It's been pretty hot and not much rain and I wanted to make sure discharging wouldnt stress the grass any more. Thanks again.
  5. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

we have to bag it....90% of us do anyway.....It just looks so much better and In oregon and Washington with fescue, ryegrass and with the ground moisture, baggin it is just the best way.
  6. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

All my lawns are side discharge or I put a chute blocker on for a semi mulch. I don't bag anything if they want it bagged they can get someone else. Leaving the clippings on the lawn they will break down and provide 20% of the nitrogen to feed the lawn.
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've found mulching to be the best of all worlds.