1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is it better????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert fling, Mar 5, 2002.

1. robert fling

robert fling LawnSite Member

is it better to pull the leaves off as they fall or save it for one clean-up? if you do it weekly is there an additional fee for that on top of your regular maintenance fee? do you have contracts with all your clients?
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area it is better to keep up with the leaves. 1. Turf is still growing and needs sunlight to produce carbohydrates. 2. Early snows can catch you with pants down and you have a big matted mess in spring, dead grass and probably trying to pick up wet leaves. Track up the yard etc. 3. Need to apply fert in fall, not best situation when ground is covered. We charge by how long we are there.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

To answer your questions:

Yes. You will want to remove the covering of leaves from the turf areas to help prevent damage to the lawn during the winter.

Yes. You should charge clients for the additional time you spend removing the accumulations from their properties in the fall. If you are able to mulch them (which is healthiest) into fine enough particles so that it doesnt smother the grass, you should still charge them for the ADDITIONAL time you spend at a property.

In the Fall I dont waste alot of time getting every leaf out of the beds. Basically what can be blown free or raked out if its wet weather conditions.

Yes. All your clients should have an Agreement with you consisting of monthly minimums to guarantee you will have income regardless of weather conditions.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Good points kutnkru!!!!!!

I also think if you wait till they all fall they will be a PITA , wet stuck deep in lawn,landscape areas. this would be harder on you and your equiptment. :cry: This equates to more money they will spend. Even if done weekly I charge more because of time and the equiptment that I use.