1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is it cost effective to buy and rebuild a 21" Toro ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mgregm, Aug 9, 2006.

1. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

I am looking to start a new company next year and trying to get good Equipment the cheapest way. I found an Exmark 21" with kawasaki for $850, and a toro for $950. which as i was told are almost identical. I found a toro shell/ frame on ebay for $35. Now the questions is if i puchased that and build it with new parts or found one with a bad motor and replaced the motor how much do you think it would cost and would it be a good idea?
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought a good Kohler 27hp for $1000, but your mower won't need that big of a motor.
  3. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

Found mower junk yard for $75 said everything is there but has bad motor and probly needs some other things fixed. I think i might need new cables, wheels,paint, and blade should cover most of other things. found new kawasaki 6.5hp for $300.00 at dealer. so it should run me at most 500.00 and a new exmark which should be the same would cost 850.00 plus tax. which one would you guys go with?Used with new motor $500 or all new $900?
  4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

New $75.00 dollars is alot for a junkyard frame of a mower
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the new and depriciate it out. Your time is worth money. It's not just $500 It's $500 + your time and experience. If your good enough to be doing this what would you make at a shop doing this kind of work + research time spent? You have prob already spent a min of an hour on this in thought and posting = $60 Another couple hrs getting parts, running around, fuel, then the rebuild time. Good Luck!!!