is it dead ??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by befnme, Mar 22, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i did a sod install in early november and monday i get a call from the client saying my sod isnt greening up yet . i told him to give it a while yet ,but i will come and look . when i get there today i checked it out and if you grab it anywhere it comes up in clumps like it's dead . it isnt attached at all to the ground either .it does have a green blade every once in a while .now i told this customer to water it well for atleast a week .i went by there a few times and it didnt seem to have been watered . i watered it very heavily the day of the install . but that was my only time. i havent encountered this before with centipede. is it dead or did it go dormant before it had time to try and root ?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Was the ground tilled and prepped properly and then was the sodded properly rounded after it was laid? Also what type of sod is it and what fert was used?

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, ok I have got to ask. Why in the hell would ANYONE do a sod install in november or any winter months? That is just asking for a job poorly done not because of your expertise but because it is too cold for the grass to do anything. IMO, yes it is dead as hell if 5 months later the grass still hasent rooted. Course it was prolly the customers own fault for not watering enough. Some people are absolute dipsh!ts, doesnt matter what you tell them they just blow it off.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've laid sod in December that came back just fine the next year. Just from my experiences, I've found that sod lawns will generally green up later than others.
    I wouldn't count out your sod yet.

5. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why I dont do sod till April and quit in Sept

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

yes tilled and graded , fert 15-15-15 ,laid ,rolled , watered. centipede .

we put sod down here year round on new construction why not renovations ? plus here in november it was 80+ . it should just go dormant and grow in the spring like usual . this aint my 1st rodeo .

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Was it dormant when laid?Was it brown when laid?
    If you did what you say you did and the customer watered properly.I would say the sod was dead when you laid it.There should be some kind of root growth
    and interaction with the soil below.I don't know what else it could be.Unless the fert was too heavy and it burnt the roots.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think laying sod in November has anything to do with it. Sod is laid all the time in late fall here and it always comes out just fine. More than likely its just still dormant.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah laying it in November wasn't the problem. I have to agree with She :cry: If it was installed as listed and the client kept it watered than you very may well have gotten bad/dead sod. How long was it on the pallet(s) and was it kept wet.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Dontcha just HATE it when that happens MM?
    Having to agree with me i MEAN?