Is it fair to say that......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Mar 18, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Is it fair to say that (1) 52" 20hp lazer z is as efficient or 25% more efficient than (2) 52" 17hp w/b without velkes?

W/b without velkes at 50% efficency max speed of 6.2 mph
    (or as fast as you want to run/walk)

Lazer z at 100% efficency max speed of 8.0 mph

Of course neither will be 100% efficent, but as a comparison, I can bet the lazer Z would match two of the same deck w/b.

I have an aquaintance that uses (2) 52" w/b on each of his properties. If I took over using the ztr, I could do the same amount of work I think. I'm using these numbers to analyse a business purchase, so I'd like anyones ideas or suggestions. Do these numbers make sense? He doesn't use any velkes so he suffers with efficiency.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on the layout of the property. I have a property where I use my WB while the LCO who maintains the neighbor uses a ZTR. Pretty much same configurations and layout. I am done and blowing off the driveway before he is done mowing, let alone trimming.

3. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell me a little more about this comparison? Not trying to be rude just wondering.

4. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

A 52" with velki is only a little slower or about the same on properties under 1 acre. Half the time by the time you get to full speed on smaller lawns you have to start slowing down already with the sit downs. He may also be walking them slower to get a better cut. You can cruise a lawn at 10 mph but are you gonna hit every blade of grass? I seen alot of lawns last year with all the rain after the sit down was done 1/4 of the blades of grass arent even touched. Hope that makes some sense.

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

It all boils down to maneuvering. While I am running zero-turns with the sulke and nottearing turf, he is spending more time turning. Now this is on a 6k lawn...there is no comparison on larger open properties. The ZTR will win every time. Each property has it's own specifics though.