Is it going to explode?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy858, Jul 8, 2007.

1. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

i was mowing today in about 95 degree heat and on one of my last accounts i saw my 2 5 gallon gas cans, and they were huge, warped on the outsides, and looked like they was going to burst so i carefully opened the nozzle and and a ton of air came out as they went back to a normal size. Once i got back home they were the same size again and i did the same thing. Is this dangerous, or should i not be concerned. please help. :dizzy:

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Just keep the vent open on them.

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe I would be concerned about that pressure build up inside those plastic containers. I've never known of them bursting but I do know of a garden hose coiled up on a rack with the nozzle tightened (without letting the pressure off) and during the heat of the day the hose burst.

Nosmo

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet he has those newer types with no vents. He said he loosened the nozzle to let the pressure out.

You can fix those newer ones to have a vent. I've seen a couple different posts on how those fellows have modified the newer containers.

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

It wont explode, unless there is a source of ignition, But the can may burst and spill your gas all over the place.

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a few of those last year and promptly returned them when I had the same problem. Pretty stupid to even make them.

7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

just drill a small hole in the top around the handle.it wont do it then.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

They are required here, they no longer sell the old kind. I talked to a retired fireman, chief in fact about this very subject I had mentioned his many containers full of gas in the sun in his driveway.
    He said no-way will they explode and start a fire, he has never seen or heard of it happening in the 30 years he was a fireman. But I know they can burst from the gasses expanding in the heat.
    I always leave my cap a little open or I put my can in shade when I get to the job. Now, if you have a can that has the vent open or the cap loose and the gas is heating up,gasses are being released out the vent or cap and you go light a smoke standing right over the can, or make a spark around it, then those gasses can ignite start a gas fire. You betcha.
    I have always been cautious to the point of paranoia about leaving gas out in our triple digits temps, vent or not. I keep my gas shaded and vented at home.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

You probably have Blitz cans. They pretty much suck. To me, the biggest problem is how they swell up so big and round, they roll around in the truck.

As for the "explosion" part, ironically gasoline has an ignition temperature of 700 degrees Farhenheit. It's harder to "spontaneous combust" gas than diesel fuel.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but Gasoline VAPORS are highly flamable, and once the vapor ignites, the rest will too.

I believe the whole "theory" behind all the new non-vented cans is to actually keep the vapor (what makes the cans swell in the sun) INSIDE the can and not floating out into the atmosphere. Great theory, and I guess that was enough to get it past the EPA. But, most cans that are swelled with vapor get vented out as soon as they are opened, which then negates the whole idea of keeping the vapor inside.

I have 3- 5 gallon old style Gott cans. They are short and squatty so they can't tip over. They are actually vented and I always leave the vents cracked a little. Only downfall to them is the spouts. The plastic gets brittle and they break in half a year or so from being in the sun so much on the trailer. I can still buy new ones though, and for about $1.50 each I buy all thay have each time, lol! I was at the dump the other day and found another 5 gallon Gott can, had a coupole gallons of probably 10 year old gas in it. Iv'e cleaned and cleaned it out, but still leary of the varnish in the can coming out and getting into my equipment.