1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is It Harder To Get Customers This Time Of Year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, May 22, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

Do you guys find it harder to get customers once the season has begun. You would think everyone already has a company doing there lawn by now.

How true is this?

Is alot of the potential customers already taken?

Do you notice your phone calls are diminshing? Would it be better to look around on your way to your jobs and if you see a house that isnt taken care of mabye knock on their door or leave a business card in there door?

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I picked up most of my clients for 2006 in June and July---it gets hot...MR DIY says screw it...or the lowballer almost dies of heatstroke and realizes he's not making money. It has been a trend--here at least...so I actually bulk up my advertising again during those months...and wait for the calls. But your area may be different. Believe it or not...I was still picking up clients in August and September too---new people moving to the area and what not. My feeling is...never quit advertising and marketing because business is ALWAYS out there. Good Luck!
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

IMO, any customers you get now are PITA's. They are the degenerate rejects that other lco's have tossed back in the river. "Oh, can you skip this week?" "Oh, you didn't show up last time!" "I will mail you your check." "Don't you want to know my last name b4 we sleep together?" <-just threw that in to see if you were still reading. Make sure you get paid up front in advance of the month.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have been picking up a steady stream of new clients since March. It hasn't seemed to taper off just yet. Normally June is a little slower and then when it gets to be 105 degrees in July and August I get alot of new calls.
  5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Normally I get most of my new customers in the spring. But this spring I haven't had many requests for estimates. It's either because of the dry weather or because of the competition. I'm not sure which.
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had very good luck picking up new mowing cutomers this time of year. Your probably not going to get any big commercial stuff or anything, but the residentials are still there - I got two new ones yesterday.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it depends on the quality requirements, I used to never care so long they paid, but nowadays I require a LOT from my customers before I even sign them on (that way it's not so bad later lol), so I am picky.

What I find is that most class-A customers are taken and gone, I like to say I *might* pick up one or two more but no holding my breath for this to happen. Unless someone just moved in OR an old-timer Lco retired, that is.

The volume of calls is regular, but I get mostly comedy this time of year.
    Folks with lawns freshly cut asking for estimates (and I mean freshly cut), folks with grass that's never been cut yet, too, crap lots and Lco 'see yas' (however you want to take it, whether customer or Lco bailed and for whatever reason).

Out of the last 10 calls, not a single one didn't raise all sorts of red flags.
    Funny stuff, lawn half cut wanting 'weekly service' (translation: my lawn mower is broke and I want a discount until it is fixed, then I can tell you thanks and all).
    Then you get the folks, soon as the temps hit 90 for good, ring-ring-ring, HEY I need year-round service (translation: you can cut my lawn until it cools off, for the same price as normal). I quote HOT lawns (as in, temp outside is way up when they call) +$5 automatic, so nothing much usually comes of this.
    Guys wanting to hire me / dote on me (they want to run my business) all kinds of funny stuff...
  8. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am gonna take a stab in the dark here. With the # of posts you have acquired....is there really a need to post anything new? I am guessing that you could take from your archives, one or two HUNDRED pages and simply copy and paste them into the answer.

I picture you with a camel colored robe, balding with maybe 20 - 60 strands of hair and ofcourse you are carrying a light saber awaiting "the force". I dunno. Mad love to ya though
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

You think topsite is Obi Wan? I picture him being more of a Yoda... I'm like Jabba the Gut!
  10. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

With some of my extra time,i ride around on my moped and drop my card at houses with long grass.Picked up a few this way.Go out and get the work.It's out there!