Is It Illegal In Florida To Put Envelope With Flyer Inside Mailbox

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vaulta, Oct 23, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Was wondering if its illegal to put a envelope or just a flyer in a mailbox in Florida. I am not sure what the laws are here, will the mailman trash all of them?

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

:nono: :nono: :nono: I imagine it is wrong anywhere in the U.S. (U.S. Postal Service). You may get away with it, but I think you will likely get a call from the postmaster for your area telling you to stop.

3. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

It's illegal. Putting anything inside the actual mailbox is illegal. Right now it's not a good idea to do it either. It's a homeland security issue.

Just put the flyer in the newspaper bin or tuck it between the flag and the box.

4. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

We do not have newspaper bins in florida only mailboxes, I heard its illegal to put it anywhere on the mailbox including the stand in Florida, is this true?

5. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Could be, Just call you local post office and ask someone.

6. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

3.1.3 Use for Mail
    Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

7. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

It is a federal law about putting flyers in mail boxes. I got in trouble for it a few years back. I got away with a warning but was told that there is a $50.00 fine for every mail box that I entered.

If you watch news paper boxes you will see flyers stay in there for months before getting emptied. You need to find away to hang them on doors or you will get little to no replies. Search the posts that I posted, i think i put it under need help with flyers that someone else posted. You will see how I did it and it worked great

8. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with that is that here in florida or atleast this part of florida there is no newspaper boxes.

9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

It is always illegal to personally put flyers in mailboxes. This is with two exceptions. 1. a newspaper receptical . 2 a mail slot inthe side of a home or in the door. Hey you get a much better respones by nocking on their door and introducing yourself any way.

10. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

i think you missread what i wrote. i said leaving things in newspaper boxes dont work, people do not check that place except about once a month. therefore you not having any is a good thing. i said to hang them on doors and search my post to see how i did it. again i got great responce`

if you cant find my post private message me and ill rewrite it, i am sure no one here wants me to tell them again... already have about 10 times