Is it illegal to affix your ad to a mailbox, i.e. rubber-band or between red flag

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gslawncare, Feb 15, 2006.

1. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

Are there any specific laws regaurding leaving your flyer on a mailbox? Flyers are never actually placed into the mailbox and lids are never opened.

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is a no-no, don't put flyer's in the box, on the post, on the flag,translation no where on the mailbox.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As Bill said, don't do it. It's illegal and can get you a nasty surprise if you persist after being warned.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I do it every year until the post office calls me. In cerian neighborhoods the mailman could care less, in others he'll call it in right on the spot. I just tell them that I had some guys out flyering, and I TOld then NOT to put them in Mailboxes, I guess they didn't listen. Works verytime.

IMm not encouraging to to try it either.

5. samk

samk LawnSite Member

have been called for putting it in the mailbox but have never been called for putting in on the mailbox

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

OK guys, heres the scoop. I am a delivery supervisor with the Post Office. You cannot attach anything to any part of the mailbox. This includes the flag area and anywhere inside or outside the mailbox. Most of the carriers here will bring things back to ma and then I call and just let them know it can't be done. Repeated offenses are ususally charged for every piece we find on a box.

7. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Any flyer CANNOT not in anyway even touch any part of the mailbox. Not even on the pole. If you gonna do this wait til just after the mailman delivers then put them in the box.

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to stick them in the newspaper boxes but sometimes if they dont have one i will put it between the mailbox and the flag.Ive done this for a few years now without the mailman complaining (knock on wood).

9. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly what I do, sometimes the lwans are too big to hang on the door.