Is it illegal to put flyers on mailboxes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CrewCut, Feb 5, 2001.

1. CrewCut

CrewCut LawnSite Member

Has anybody ever got in trouble for putting flyers on people's mailboxes, I see pizza companies putting flyers on the mailboxes with rubberbands, is it legal?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

It's only illegal if you get caught.....

Though you can pay companies and get your flyer in mailed coupon booklets or similar types of ads.

Good luck avoid the cuffs
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Don't do it MAN!!!!!!!!! My wife carries the US MAIL and this is a BIG NO NO!!!!!! If the carrier gets your flier and turns it in to the Postmaster CHARGES will be FILED. I don't see anything wrong with it but it is a FEDERAL offense putting things IN or ON the mail box. I'm not sure why they have to be that way. Just the US GOVERNMENT I guess.
    Try hanging them on the door knob or in the screen door. Or ring the bell and give it to them in person.
    Good Luck,
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Kris meant No Crewcut. Since you asked if it was legal and it is not legal. Alot of people ask this question because they want to do it faster (to lazy to walk to the door) or they are afraid that someone will come out the door a bite'em. LOL

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 02-05-2001 at 05:27 PM]
  7. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

Yes it is illegal I know from experience. Put fliers on mail boxes when I was in the plumbing business and just starting out. The next morning I awoke to someone knocking on the door it was the Postmaster and 2 policeman man was I sweating. Luckily for me the just gave me a warning (written) after explaining in detail the legalities and the penalties for such an offense.Don't take the chance it isn't worth it
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

moonarrow, yeah but did you get any business from the fliers you did set out?
  9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Putting fliers on mailboxes does not get you more customers than putting the fliers on the is just lazy and against the law.
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

lonestar's correct -ooops on typo

Yes it is ILLEGAL and you can be prosecuted for a felony if you do so.